PDA

View Full Version : Windors XP Professional keeps switching PC off

Zippity
18-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Tonight my computer has started to develop a mind of its own.

Whenever I click on the Start button on the task bar and move the cursor to select anything, my computer switches itself off :(

What have I done wrong and how do I restore my PC back to normality? :(

metla
18-06-2004, 11:11 PM
does it switch off instanly?

power down?

reboot?

Is it only caused by clicking the start button?

what about in safe mode?

any hardware or software changes recently?

Zippity
19-06-2004, 12:43 AM
As soon as I move the cursor into the start menu, the blue standby screen appears and the computer switches off immediately.

How do I access safe mode if I can't get passed the start button? :(

The PC does not reboot and no, I haven't added any new hardware or programmes recently.

metla
19-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Im tired and about to hit the sack so ill be breif and try and track down this thread tommorow,hit f5 or f8 on boot to get into safe mode

Murray P
19-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Then do a thorough scan with an up to date anti virus programme, update before if necessary (which should at least be a weekly activity). If you don't have any anti spyware programmes, get Spybot S&E and Adaware, scan with both.

Some nasties will try to disable your antivirus programme. If you suspect this, download one of the free ones like AVG fron grisoft.com (could be grissoft.com).

Check your running processes by bringing up Task Manager = ctrl + alt + del. check for odd .exe processes especially.

Cheers Murray P

kiki
19-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Sounds like a major hardware/sotware issue rather than a virus.

I'd be inclined to do a repair of windows if rebooting into safemode doesn't accomplish anything.

Murray P
19-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and check out the listed entries in the event viewer. Any major (and lots of minor) issues and normal events like starting and shutting off services when you boot up and power down are recorded there.

Reproduce the issue a couple of times noting your system clocks time just before you do it. Then check the event viewer for likely suspects (check them all, Applications, System and the other one I can't remember). Check the events around the time as well. Errors and crashes should be in red, info will be blue and warning in yellow, but don't ignore it just because it doesn't have red or yellow beside it. It may be something that leads up to the error that is recorded.

Cheers Murray P

Zippity
19-06-2004, 12:55 PM
I feel such an idiot :(

Appears that a book buried under some paperwork on my desk was resting on the numeric pad "Enter" button - yes I had a very cluttered and messy desk.

Today after I switched my PC on, everything seems to be running OK.

I will however, run through the tests/checks that you have all suggested :)

Thanks (hangs head in shame)

kiki
19-06-2004, 06:00 PM
:^O classic.

Murray P
19-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Well we should all be thoroughly ashamed, especially those malingerers that looked at the thread but would not post for fear of making d**ks of themselves (it comes naturally to me so, no matter).

We should have been able to solve this simple and, as Kiki so eloquently put it, "classic" computer problem by the second post.

For shame X-(

Cheers Murray ;P

J ZEP
19-06-2004, 07:55 PM
> Appears that a book buried under some paperwork on my desk was resting on the numeric pad "Enter" button - yes I had a very cluttered and messy desk.
>>>Thanks (hangs head in shame)

:-) ;-) Don't feel too bad Zippity ;-) Your not alone ;-) , as i read your post i couldn't help remembering the same symptom some time back, couldn't for the life of me remember what it was that caused or fixed it though ?:| until you posted your resolution ;-). Yep same thing happened to our household, took me some time till i happened to look at the keyboard and notice the "Enter" key was slightly stuck down, compliments of my partner doing some heavy handed gaming ;-). The thing is quite often i don't use my keyboard straight off, like alot of people no doubt, cause we are just clicking with the mouse ;-), so its not the logical place to look :-).