PDA

View Full Version : TRUE Flatrate Plans and ISPs

csinclair83
18-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Who provide TRUE flatrate plans in NZ, as my ISP is complaining of my excessive monthly useage (450+month) and their recommended on a flatrate is 150hrs a month which i find pretty stupid and they emailed me today to say either cut down or they charge me for any extra hours over 300 (I said i was deaf so they doubled it but it doesnt reflect flatrate anymore)...so I'm looking at changing ISPs as my current one isnt to my standards anymore..

I dont mind if theres a joining fee but I'll look at it with other plans and decide from there..

I only know of ORCON whom have said they dont mind if i never disconnect from the internet and i have that in a written email and yeah so far they seem the pretty good as the only other one is XTRA...

And to help, I am located in ROTORUA

Cheers

Chris :)

somebody
18-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Xtra is good - when I used their dialup plans, it was unlimited, and really meant unlimited. I could connect for as long as I wanted, without the connection being dropped etc. So I recommend Xtra - I have only had good experiences with them.

Baldy
18-06-2004, 09:55 PM
XTRA

I stay online almost 24/7 (dial-up) and have never had an email saying I am using too much.

I was under the impression that flatrate WAS as much as you could use. Its preposterous that an ISP would email customers saying they are using to much

My advice, just ignore the emails

Baldy
18-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Oh, and they don't interfere with file sharing either. Heard some ISP's try to block it

csinclair83
18-06-2004, 10:03 PM
I cant ingore the emails...4th one in 2 weeks and yeah todays one said "you havent tried to cut your internet useage so we will give you these options" and it was they stop me connecting after 300hrs..or charge me for extra $$ if i use more than 300..or not let me online between 5pm and 11pm...
I had a read of the terms and conditions and it says there 150hrs a month average is regarded to as flatrate...
stupid rubbish..

xtra sounds good but its the connecting fee that puts it on the back foot to orcon and cheaper too...and i have in writing that they dont mind i dont disconnect the net much however its recommended to sign up to this plan which was the flat rate $24.95 month plan...

stu120404
18-06-2004, 10:04 PM
> My advice, just ignore the emails

And see if they do any thing about it

Because if there where serous & un happy about you using 450+hours per month they would suspend your account by now, I would think

Are you still with quik?

southern_jas
18-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure if these guys are available in your area but I use Ezysurf. Their flat-rate plan (dial-up) IS that. I am on an awful lot every week between personal use, studies and work and they never complain about hours used.

http://www.ezysurf.co.nz

supergran
18-06-2004, 10:48 PM
I would look in Netguide, and then go to the websites posted there, and find out their prices and terms.

robsonde
18-06-2004, 10:56 PM
IHUG give me 600+ hours for flat rate.

csinclair83
18-06-2004, 11:02 PM
ihug hmm 4got about them...what are they like for reliability etc?

Poppa John
18-06-2004, 11:16 PM
CS Have been with Xtra for yonks with no complaints. The joining fee is $27.95 is that too much? $27.95/month unlimited. Never had a nasty word from them even tho we had two computers running on the same account. Why not contact them & explain your situation,deafness, & see what they have to offer? You might be pleasantly suprised. Have you thought about Xtra Jetstream? On one of their free connection deals? PJ

SKT174
19-06-2004, 11:28 AM
> ihug hmm 4got about them...what are they like for
> reliability etc?

I've been using Ihug dial up for 7 years without any problems, 24/7 all the time, they might log you off after a certain period of time, but you can just reconnect and they're happy with it.

However, I'm no longer with Ihug since I switched to broadband last month because Ihug don't have any broadband plans that interests me as all of them have caps :(

Greg S
19-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Just go Orcon and be done with it

Baldy
19-06-2004, 01:07 PM
> Just go Orcon and be done with it

I see Orcon have free connection, $16something per month flatrate if you pay in advance, and that prog that makes your surfing (but not downloading) five times faster at no aditional cost

Their Jetstream is also uncapped unlimited (download as much as you like) for $39.95 per month [ $69.90 including the Telecom line charge ]

csinclair83
19-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Ihug internet website says $27.95, or $24.95 if you go with their toll call plan as well...
but i emailed them and told them I am Deaf and use the internet for 500 or more hours a month, they have offered to put me on the $24.95 monthly plan without the toll calls and that its ok to use as many hours i want so that sounds cool...

the download 5x faster than normal dial up modem...is this actually a fact? that just download some software and it fires up ur modem 5x faster as apparently Ihug does the same...or is it just a stupid thing they doing to get more users??

robsonde
19-06-2004, 02:50 PM
it just compress stuff and gets more data down the line, only works for text type data.