PDA

View Full Version : Come to you from.....

stu120404
18-06-2004, 02:49 PM
....Win XP Pro! & IE 6.0 SP 1 (but soon I will be using Firefox!)

Yep, I have finally up graded my computer from Win ME to XP pro! & I also finally got my new 30 GB Hard drive! (Or is it 40GB! I can’t remember now?! ?:|)

What a shock!, I thought I know what I was in for when I upgrade from Win Me to XP, as I have been using it on dads & on the test computer, but no! Plus I am using all new software e.g. office 2003, MSN messenger 6.2 etc… so that does not help! & also I am copying all my dada from my old hdd as well, so that again does not help!

Now I am going to have some questions….

1. Outlook Express 6.0 & windows messenger:

How do I stop Outlook Express from using windows messenger? So it uses MSN messenger?

I have uninstall windows messenger via the CP

---------------------------------------------------

PS: YES, Iam up to date on the windows paches & have a Antivirus Programs - AVG

PPS: Try to catch me Baster & sasser! :D :D hehe ;\

johnboy
18-06-2004, 03:10 PM
To make MSN your email client .
In IE go to tools /programs and change the email to what you want.

J ZEP
18-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi Stu, good on you, glad to see you upgraded o.k :-). I am sure it won't take somebody of your experience long to get the hang of xp pro ;-) and you'll love it after ME i think - i hope :-).

>>>1. Outlook Express 6.0 & windows messenger:
>>>How do I stop Outlook Express from using windows messenger? So it uses MSN messenger?I have uninstall windows messenger via the CP

Well i don't use MSN Mess. but the system i am using now does, and it uses MSN Mess. in O.E. I think the next stop, now you have uninstalled it via CP, would be changing MSN Mess, to default under the settings: "Set Program Acess and Defaults" in control panel too, (these settings are only added after installing SP1 {which you have}).

Hope that does it, if not i am sure somebody else will know how :-)
Maybe you will have to use that fix that is in the FAQ (i think) to get rid of Win Mess if that doesn't do it ;-), however i would bet that this system hasn't had the fix applied and happily uses MSN Mess in O.E.

HTH

J ZEP
18-06-2004, 03:24 PM
oops :8} - i must have misread what you wanted? Thought you wanted to use O.E but not have it still load "Win Mess." Sorry :-)

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2004, 04:33 PM
IIRC you cant.

Try using Mozilla Thunderbird for your email client, it can import Messages / Addresses / Setting from Outlook Express fine :-) And it makes sense keeping with Firefox too ;-)

BTW - If you really want, I've patched four bytes on the sasser worm, I could put it in your inbox if you like ;-) No AV software would stop it, so dont get too cocky :p

Good to hear you're enjoying it though :-) All apps working fine?

Dont forget to grab the latest Firefox, 0.9 was released a few days ago!

Cheers

Chill.

stu120404
18-06-2004, 05:01 PM
> IIRC you cant.

I just found out you can ;), just remove/rename the Messenger folder & bingo No more windows messenger :) ;)

> Try using Mozilla Thunderbird for your email client,

Yep, I am also using Thunderbird for my work mail

> BTW - If you really want, I've patched four bytes on
> the sasser worm, I could put it in your inbox if you
> like ;-) No AV software would stop it, so dont get
> too cocky :p

hehe :p :D

> Good to hear you're enjoying it though :-) All apps
> working fine?

They seem fine so far, just MS golf 2001 edition will not install, but I will try reinstalling that at a latter date & I need to find some win xp drives for my sidewinder steering wheel

But that is it so far…..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q2 – Win ME & Win xp

At the moment I have my old win me drive plug in & I am booting off the win xp drive.

How would I go about getting my Win me drive too boot? With out touching the inside of my computer?

Note: the win xp file system is NTFS & win ME is FAT 32

Rob99
18-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Press F8 on bootup

metla
18-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Go into your bios and see if you have the option to select which harddrive to boot from,generally only available on recentish boards.

agent
18-06-2004, 05:44 PM
There are better ways to "remove" Windows Messenger than via the Control Panel, which simply hides Windows Messenger. And making OE work with MSN Messenger is pretty easy... you just have to search around a bit, for both of these two issues.

Note there's nothing really great about XP, Windows 2000 is better in many peoples opinions.

stu120404
18-06-2004, 08:02 PM
> > IIRC you cant.
>
> I just found out you can ;), just remove/rename the
> Messenger folder & bingo No more windows messenger :)
> ;)

DOH!, DO NOT DO THAT!, it does not work ( Note to self: must restart the computer to make sure things do not break before posting….), the safe way is to rename msmsgs.exe to something like msmsgs_nana.exe

> Press F8 on bootup

Thanks that works like a treat :)

stu120404
19-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Q3:Mozilla Thunderbird:

How do you change your profile in Mozilla Thunderbird???

The reason why I ask is because I selected the wrong profile & I cant see any mail now :(

Any idea?

stu120404
19-06-2004, 12:19 PM
> Q3:Mozilla Thunderbird:
>
> How do you change your profile in Mozilla
> Thunderbird???
>
> The reason why I ask is because I selected the wrong
> profile & I cant see any mail now :(

& I cant remember how it was down either :(

johnboy
19-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Here (http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html)

stu120404
19-06-2004, 01:00 PM
> [url=http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html
> Here[/url]

Thunderbird the e-mail client NOT the browser!

johnboy
19-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Here (http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html)

stu120404
19-06-2004, 01:24 PM
> [url=http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html]Here[/
> rl]

Jen C
19-06-2004, 01:37 PM
> Thunderbird the e-mail client NOT the browser!

So, he posted a link to the wrong product - nothing to get upset up. I am sure you are perfectly capable of navigating to the Thunderbird section and looking at the FAQ's where you will find answers to your questions - here is the link ( http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html) to save yourself some time.

Jen C
19-06-2004, 01:39 PM
... must remember to refresh a page before posting. :p

I see johnboy has given to the link you wanted.

stu120404
19-06-2004, 01:43 PM
> ... must remember to refresh a page before posting.
> :p

hehe :D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-06-2004, 03:08 PM
> ... must remember to refresh a page before posting.

Still a valid point though, for someone that has been around here that long, it was a question to which the answer is easily found on Google or the products web-site.

mark.p
19-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Make sure you have the firewall enabled if you already haven't done so ;)

stu120404
25-06-2004, 05:05 PM
> Make sure you have the firewall enabled if you
> already haven't done so ;)

Don’t need it ;), I am on a network & the computer I connect to has 2 firewalls on it!!

Q5 Outlook Express again.....

Any ideas how I can import my Message rules from my win me computer, with out resetting them up again? On my xp computer?

Q 6 any ideas how I can import my mail accounts from MailWasher on the ME computer to MailWasher XP computer? with out resetting them up again?

Chilling_Silence
25-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Nope, those are Manual jobs AFAIK sorry.. I may be wrong about MailWasher because I dont use it enough, try the Mailwasher website and see.

stu120404
25-06-2004, 06:05 PM
> Nope, those are Manual jobs AFAIK sorry..

:(, bugger, Hello Long Night!... :D

Thanks Chill :)

at least this will save me from wasting bandwidth......