PDA

View Full Version : My gift to PF1ers

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone, we're getting rid of a whole lot of computer stuff from work so I thought I would grab some RAM chips and offer them up to PF1ers whose "older machines" could do with a boost.
I have to give away..
4 x 64 megs SDRAM chips
2 x 32 megs SDRAM chips
1 x 128 meg SDRAM chip
2 x unknown (can't be bothered putting into a computer but probably 32 meg) chips.

If anyone is interested simply reply to this post and send me an email barnabasjones @ hotmail dot com with a postal address and I will happily stick it in an envelope and send it on its merry way. Barring any static electricity mishaps in transit you should receive your RAM as soon as I get round to posting it.
I want to share it round a few people so please dont ask for all of it.
Thanks
B.

Jester
18-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I don't want anything but want to say

Well Done

:D

robsonde
18-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I also dont need any bits but it is very cool to see that you are thinking of us.

Murray P
18-06-2004, 01:45 PM
A 128 would be very nice for our old grunter which gets bogged down from time to time. That's if I'm not tto late.

Cheers Murray P

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 01:54 PM
no problem Murray, email me your address if you dont want to post it here, and Ill get it on its way. :-)
B.

J ZEP
18-06-2004, 02:18 PM
What a tremendous and generous offer Barnabos, well done :-).
I would definately love to take advantage of it if i am not too late too? It looks like the 128 mb is gone ;-), so if possible i would love a 64mb please or just one of what ever you have left if any ;-) - would like it for my Mums old machine which is really lacking in ram :-( and i know she would dearly appreciate it!. Muchly appreciated :-).
Cheers :-)

P.s if you don't get any takers later, 2 of the 64mb would be great for her :-)

Tristan Speak
18-06-2004, 02:23 PM
One of those 64 Mb SDRAM chips would be great to give the my old clunker some extra juice.

You are far to generous. Bravo.

Thanks,
Tristan

Nigel Thomson
18-06-2004, 02:24 PM
thanks for the offer Barnabas
I would be interested in some of that RAM you are offering,
might speed up the kids machine a bit (266 celeron struggles just a tad with barbie game)
A stick of 64Mb would be cool if there are any left otherwise a 32mb is cool (just have to check if there are free slots on the old Dunga), thanks very much
actually If you don't get any takers (unlikely I know) I'll take another stick, might bring my dead server back to life

anyhow thanks a bunch Barnabas

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 02:26 PM
update for you

the 128 is gone to Murray
2 64's have gone to Chill
1 64 has gone to Glassman
J Zep, I am happy to send you the last 64 and 1 32 if thats what you want. Just email me your postal addy.
That leaves the 2 mystery (but probably 32) meg sticks and 1 definite 32 meg stick.
Thanks
B.

Tristan Speak
18-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I'd still be happy with 32Mb if thats OK.

Tristan

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 02:31 PM
No problem Tristan, just email me your addy and Ill send it.

Tristan Speak
18-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Cool :)

J ZEP
18-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Brilliant - you are tops Barnabos, details are on the way :-).
Cheers

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Right, Im running out of stamps so the next person can have the last chips, 1 32 meg and 2 probably 32 meg but not smaller (we didn't buy any smaller chips)
B.

Winston001
18-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm too late but what a kind thing to do. At the time you posted, I was telling a friend that she needed another 64mb in her P2. Of course I wasn't' logged in then. :_|

Barnabas
18-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok its all over folks.
People who I am sending ram to are as follows
Murray - 1 x 128
Chill - 2 x 64
Glassman - 1 x 64
J Zep - 1 x 64 and 1 x 32
Tristan Speak - 1 x 32
Nigel T -2x mystery but probably 32

As I mentioned in my email I only have envelopes to put them in so hopefully any static or NZ post will not have an adverse effect on them.

Enjoy everybody, Ill post them today so hopefully you'll get them tomorrow or early next week. :-)

B.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-06-2004, 05:19 PM
:_| I'm late, yet, again..... I would have paid for them!!! I'll well, I will have to cope with my current....

But isn't it funny to see how fast people react to freebies. It's amazing,... only if they'd do that at work or helping others....

But it's nice to see you giving things of no use to the general public, Barnabas! I'm sure it's much better than throwing it in the bin

nzStan
18-06-2004, 05:29 PM
You guys are serious? You want 32MB SDRAMs?

Hmmmm.... Any of you folks in Auckland?

kiki
18-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Was any of the ram EDO memory?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-06-2004, 05:32 PM
> You guys are serious? You want 32MB SDRAMs?
>
>
> Hmmmm.... Any of you folks in Auckland?

Yes, me, I wouldn't mind. My 128Mb is stuggling on WinXP... :(

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-06-2004, 05:34 PM
+ I think the reason why theres such a big demand for any SD ram is due to the fact that SD ram are expensive these day (well.. they all are) but SD are just extremely expensive. I put off buying more Ram because if I felt it would be better for me to get a better PC instead of mucking around with bits that will not be of used 2 years down the track...

agent
18-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Sy, you should've gotten extra RAM three or four years ago. The industry was pumping out RAM, but the customers weren't demanding it... so the price fell.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes, I realised, if only.... :(

I got this PC after that time, second-hand off course being the student I am. By that time, RAM prices were up. Thank god I brought a 256 for my other computer. This PC came with Win98, but I couldnt resist it, so had no choice but to go to XP. My PC is coping... just... until I get a job :D

nzStan
18-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, where are you? Are you in Auckland?

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Im in Auckland, and many others here are...

Can I enquire why it matters?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-06-2004, 07:13 PM
> Well, where are you? Are you in Auckland?

Yes I am nzStan...

Nigel Thomson
18-06-2004, 08:57 PM
> You guys are serious? You want 32MB SDRAMs?
>
>
> Hmmmm.... Any of you folks in Auckland?

Well for me its, because the old computer for the younger kids is struggling and well an extra 32mb should make it a little faster, I mean the price of SDRam is just ridiculus these days, especially the ram for older machines, and down here there just don't seem to be cheap second hand systems at a price I want to pay, actually all computerish stuff down here is a bit dear.

Unfortunately I am not in Auckland, as I regularly used to hear from friends there who had got cheap second hand systems, oh well

anyway thanks again to Barnabas

Winston001
18-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Nigel - go and see Jens at Jensen Technical Services, Spey St near the fire station. He's a good guy and an enthuasist who doesn't throw stuff out.

He may have some used sticks at a reasonable price. Worth asking.

BIFF
19-06-2004, 09:42 AM
> + I think the reason why theres such a big demand for
> any SD ram is due to the fact that SD ram are
> expensive these day (well.. they all are) but SD are
> just extremely expensive.

Not really.... You can get 512MB for about $150 -I paid $90 a few months ago so admittedly it has gone up, but it's only about $30 more than decent DDR RAM.
I think you should remember those days of old where you were looking at a couple of hundred dollars a megabyte to put it all in perspective. :)
At this point some old timers usually pop up and say how expensive 1KB was when they were walking to school in the snow...

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
19-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Point taken, you win:8} But "History is never progress" :P

Jester
19-06-2004, 11:14 AM
>>At this point some old timers usually pop up and say how expensive 1KB was when they were walking to school in the snow...

You had snow!!?? We couldn't afford snow. We had to put our feet in blocks of ice instead of shoes so we knew what the rich folks were experiencing!

metla
19-06-2004, 11:16 AM
I had an "old timer" getting in my ear the other day,Ranting on how his newly purchased harddrive cost him just over 1 dollar per gig of space compared to some drive he bought a decade ago that cost him $2500,or $2.5 million per gigabyte (not that the drive was anywhere near a gigabyte)

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Ram arrived this morning, thanks very much!!

nzStan
19-06-2004, 12:47 PM
> Im in Auckland, and many others here are...
>
> Can I enquire why it matters?

I have some old 32MB SDRAM which we throw into a box whenever we upgrade PCs. I'm in Auckland and if you are willing to come into the city you can pick it up.

Winston001
19-06-2004, 03:56 PM
>
> You had snow!!?? We couldn't afford snow. We had to
> put our feet in blocks of ice instead of shoes so we
> knew what the rich folks were experiencing!

Ice!!!!! You were lucky. We used to dream about ice.
We had to fill the bath with salt and water, thrash about for while and then Mum would serve it up as soup for supper.

Ahhh, but we were 'appy.........

Jester
19-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Supper .... puuuuuuuuuure luxury.

I could go on but then it probably would hijack the thread too much... we had heard of threads when we were kids

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
19-06-2004, 05:03 PM
> > Im in Auckland, and many others here are...
> >
> > Can I enquire why it matters?
>
> I have some old 32MB SDRAM which we throw into a box
> whenever we upgrade PCs. I'm in Auckland and if you
> are willing to come into the city you can pick it
> up.
>

Oh that'll be great! Thanks, how could I contact you.... Also it might not be for quite a while... I'm heading overseas for about 2 weeks soon. Will be back mid-July if thats ok. :)

nzStan
19-06-2004, 05:21 PM
> Oh that'll be great! Thanks, how could I contact
> you.... Also it might not be for quite a while... I'm
> heading overseas for about 2 weeks soon. Will be back
> mid-July if thats ok. :)

Same here. I'm in Auckland this coming week then off to Wellington the following. Then two weeks in Asia.

Send me an email stan dot low at stagecoach dot co dot nz. I'll place the ram in an envelope with your name to pick up from the reception counter. My office is at the viaduct harbour near the old americas cup bases. Yeah tell me how many 32MB RAM you need. I had a quick look in the box yesterday and I have about 20 or 30 pieces or so of various rams that we stripped from old PCs we chucked out over the years.

I'm afraid I don't have the time to organise mailing out RAMs and I don't want my staff to do this when they have plenty of other work to do.

kiki
19-06-2004, 05:50 PM
> Send me an email stan dot low at stagecoach dot co dot nz. I'll place the ram in an envelope with your name to pick up from the reception counter. My office is at the viaduct harbour near the old americas cup bases. Yeah tell me how many 32MB RAM you need. I had a quick look in the box yesterday and I have about 20 or 30 pieces or so of various rams that we stripped from old PCs we chucked out over the years.

Got any EDO ram sticks? ;)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
19-06-2004, 06:09 PM
> Got any EDO ram sticks? ;)

I do, but only like 1mb ones. Don't believe it'll do any help. Got to find it though, will be in one of the xxx (three digit) cardboard boxes i have in the basement ;-) Tell me if you're interested.

nzStan
19-06-2004, 06:19 PM
> Got any EDO ram sticks? ;)

Dunno, will have to give it good look on Monday. There are all sorts of memory sticks in there.