PDA

View Full Version : Spellcheck

Ron24
18-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Using Outlook Express and XPpro.
My spellcheck keeps needing to be reinstalled for some crazy reason. It will be stable for a while and then needs "Picture It" to be reinstalled before it will work..
Any ideas? Ron..

Capt.Hook
18-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Going by what I read on the posts Ron,it seems that a lot of people can't even use a spellchecker,let alone offer advice on how to fix a problem with it.(Me included):D

godfather
18-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Can't give specific help (as I would never use OE by choice) but the spell check in OE is provided by Microsoft Word spellchecker.

OE does not have one inbuilt.

gerrypics
18-06-2004, 10:49 PM
You can download a stand alone spell checker for OE from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

Winston001
18-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Personally I use WordWeb which is brilliant. Found it on a PCW cd 6 months ago. Might be downloadable. See what others think. I wouldn't be without it.

Jim B
18-06-2004, 11:12 PM
PictureIt comes with its own spell checker but I don't believe it was designed to work with OE so if it does it is a bonus. As mentioned you normally need MS word installed.

There is a free spell checker available.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

Your problem with PictureIT is explained at this link
http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_294731.aspx

Laura
19-06-2004, 12:20 AM
I agree with Captain Hook about the spelling.

For anyone educated academically, lots of the spelling on these threads is truly atrocious.
Those of us who were taught in the old style can merely shudder at todays versions...on PF1 and elsewhere.
(OK Old Fogey stuff here)
Mind you, we have to acknowledge that ours is old and theirs is new - and may end up as standard.....

But in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt the kids to try the spellchecker on PF1 ...just in case they ever need a job where proper English is required.
And the amount it changes their posts might surprise them

I know Microsoft provided a spellchecker on my machine. I've not looked for it. No need.
Why would I need Bill Gates to tell me how to spell an American version, when I already learned from a very determined & dedicated woman in a small school when I was young? It's really very simple. I grew up in an era when people wew taught how to spell...

But you kids who want international jobs some day really need to get your acts together in term of written English. as opposed to the spelling of text mesages only.

gerrypics
19-06-2004, 12:28 AM
wew ? ;\ ?:|

Laura
19-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Loads of great spelling advice here.
Let's see if the regular posters use it.

Ron24
19-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Many thanks to all for your kind help. I downloaded the spellcheck from Major Geeks and found a lot of goodies there too.
Thanks to Laura for the comments on spelling, as I have had my eightieth birthday I think I qualify for the old school and the old time teaching of spelling. The need for checking is greater as the years go by though.
Regards to all Ron..
PS. Have the Works suite 2002 installed which includes Word and all the other bits.

Winston001
19-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Good on you Ron.

I'm with Laura. Accurate spelling and sentence structure are axiomatic to communication.

I can guess the reasons for poor spelling on posts.

1- Its not really important

2- You know what I mean......

3- I'm on dialup and the spell-checker is slow.

4- I'm used to texting and chat so my habit is to be quick if not accurate. Doesn't matter to my friends.

5- Language is changing and who says my spelling is wrong?

There are answers to all of the above. I'm sympathetic but I can say that errors lead to misunderstandings which can lead to lawyers in the real world.

Come to think of it, maybe its not all bad.............. :D