PDA

View Full Version : SATA install with no F6

wgeorgec
18-06-2004, 01:49 AM
I am trying to install a SATA HD using XP boot disks, when I press F6 to get to SCSI driver install nothing happens and the installation keeps going, when I get to the end of the 6th disk I get told there is no HD present, I have checked cables etc, however on start up the HD is listed as been there. I have formatted the drive via a Win98 startup disk using FDISK and set the partition as active, for some reason the HD is not recognised, can somebody shed some light ?. Thanks.
George.

mikebartnz
18-06-2004, 02:27 AM
A SATA HD is not a SCSI HD. The S in SATA stand for serial.

mikebartnz
18-06-2004, 02:31 AM
It would be a lot easier to install from the CD but if you already have XP on an ATA disk you shouldn't have to do anything.

JJJJJ
18-06-2004, 06:14 AM
What make and model is your motherboard ?
Different makes require different methods.
Some disks come with a driver disk. Some don't need one.
Some M/B's require a bios flash to load drivers.
Jack

wgeorgec
18-06-2004, 07:57 AM
MOBO is Asus A7N8X Deluxe, to enable SATA on the MOBO you would normally install required driver via the F6 option as the set up requires it.

JJJJJ
18-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Do you have an eide drive enabled as well as the Sata? If so you may have to un-enable it and make Sata your primary drive.
Make sure you have your drive set up set to "auto"

Budda
18-06-2004, 09:02 AM
you are doing the right thing by pushing f6, but cant you boot of the XP cd, rather than the 6 boot disks??

go into the bios and set the cd to boot first, then you will see the same screen then push f6 and you will be able to insert you sata driver floppy disk, and install the drivers and then carry on with rest of XP install.

Lohsing
18-06-2004, 09:26 AM
What kind of keyboard are you using? Are you using one of those multimedia ones? If so, the F6 button is sometimes shared with another function... on mine, F6 = Spell check... what you need to do, is to turn off the multimedia funtion on the keyboard and try again.

Let me know if that works.

Lo.

mikebartnz
18-06-2004, 11:33 AM
The keyboard multimedia driver wouldn't be loading. There is no need for a spell checker when doing an installation and the spell checker is probably more to do with a program reassigning it.

wgeorgec
18-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks to all who replied, I have finally got windows loaded. At the F6 prompt, I did as asked but nothing seemed to happen, so in desperation I carried on with the other disks, I was asked at disk 4 for the SATA controller driver which I had, followed the prompts and off it went, frustrating but got there in the end, many thanks again for all who replied.

Miami Steve
18-06-2004, 04:47 PM
I have a M/S multimedia keyboard, and the function keys are controlled by an F-Lock key at the top right. This key is off at start up, and to date I have found no way of changing it so that it is always enabled at startup.

It had me very confused when I was assembling the computer and I was getting no response when pressing F10 to Save and Exit from the BIOS configuration, as well as the problem wgeorgec was having with the F6 during Win XP installation.

Once I discovered the F-Lock key, I was fine, but I had to remember to press it every time at startup.

Cheers
Miami

Big John
18-06-2004, 05:05 PM
> A SATA HD is not a SCSI HD. The S in SATA stand for
> serial.

True but you still need the drivers for it so that XP will boot from it. Using the F6 should allow you to install a floppy with the drivers on it just as the install completes but before the reboot. It will then install the required drivers.

I had the same problem with mine. In the end I got someone with a spare PATA drive to do the Windows install. Then set up the RAID0 drive and finally copy the Windows setup from the PATA to the SATA drives and then let it go. Once this was done it was fine.

Big John
18-06-2004, 05:08 PM
> The keyboard multimedia driver wouldn't be loading.
> There is no need for a spell checker when doing an
> installation and the spell checker is probably more
> to do with a program reassigning it.

The new Microsoft keyboards act like this. You need to press the proper key to get the function keys to act as function keys or else they send out the wrong code. Has nothing to do with driver software at all.

Lohsing
18-06-2004, 05:57 PM
> > The keyboard multimedia driver wouldn't be
> loading.
> > There is no need for a spell checker when doing an
> > installation and the spell checker is probably
> more
> > to do with a program reassigning it.
>
> The new Microsoft keyboards act like this. You need
> to press the proper key to get the function keys to
> act as function keys or else they send out the wrong
> code. Has nothing to do with driver software at all.

Bingo! :)

Lo.