PDA

View Full Version : virtual private networking

lorro
18-06-2004, 12:29 AM
I want to connect a windows xp pro computer in my outside office with a windows 98se computer which is inside my house through the phone lines using virtual private networking. neither computers has network cards but both have modems that connect to the internet using the same phone line. Does anyone who has done this have any tips on if this is possible.

Murray P
18-06-2004, 01:03 AM
I haven't done VPN before but, think that you would be better off getting a couple of NIC's and some ethernet cable or WiFi cards and a gateway/router.

For one it will free up the phone line. I believe you need routing and/or NAT functions for VPN and a modem doesn't do that (a linux box will). I also have the feeling that you will need to use some other hardware as well to communicate, for some reason a null modem comes to mind but then again I could be completely off track. VPN has setup and security issues that a direct network connection doesn't have (which is not to say you should not be mindful of security with a connected network).

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
18-06-2004, 02:47 AM
I don't know if it will help but if you use the same phone line by dialing 137 and hanging up the other end can answer and then the one that dialed can lift the the receiver and communicate. There is another number that I can't remember that if you dial and don't get your phone number quoted back to you within a certain time there is a good chance you are being bugged.

Marlboro
18-06-2004, 10:25 AM
The number to dial to test your phone number is 1957. This is handy if you setting up a phone system to check you have the correct lines feeding the system.

I've never heard of the bugging theory, x-files hasn't been on TV for such a long time...

mikebartnz
18-06-2004, 11:29 AM
I've used the 137 many times but never heard of 1957.

Graham L
18-06-2004, 02:17 PM
You will best staying off the exchange connected wires ... you could well have a spare pair which you can use. If not, it wouldn't be hard to run a pair.

You can use modems; but you need modems which can work in "leased -line" mode. Then one is set to "originate" mode, and the other to "answer".

I think the Hayes codes are &L1 and &L0 for leased line mode, but it's a while since I have looked. (Google will find it :D "Hayes modem codes" or something like that).

Most external modems have the mode, but even some Robotics etc don't. It depends on how "compatible" the manufacturer decided to be, especially since not many people use it these days. :D

I think you would be much better to run a length of Cat5 cable and use Ethernet. It's faster, and likely to take less experimenting to get it going.