PDA

View Full Version : Speakers with headphone socket

supergran
17-06-2004, 11:22 PM
When I purchased my S5020AN Presario puter a few months ago, I could plug headphones into the speakers while playing cd's, and hear the music. I reformatted back to factory settings, now the headphones will not play from the speakers. Sounds dumb I know, but with the puter in the lounge, and hubby likes watching tele, it is normal for me to just plug into speakers, and is very frustrating that it won't work now. I know I can ring compaq, but thought I would try here first. I have NOT changed any plugs etc, just reformatted, and checked all sound settings, and can't find anything muted. Speakers work fine, just not the headphone hole.

Murray P
17-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Try plugging in to the headphone socket on the front of the CD/DVD player.

Did you load all the motherboard drivers, assuming onboard sound, or sound card driver if it's got a dedicated sound card. Could be just running off the standard windows drivers at the moment although I imagine they everthing you needed would be on the Compaq CD.

Cheers Murray P

Alasta
18-06-2004, 09:43 AM
If the headphone jack is in the speakers, then surely this would be a hardware issue? After all, the speakers just plug into a 3.5mm audio jack on the computer, so if the speakers are working but the headphone jack is not, then the drivers etc. would be irrelevant.

If my understanding is correct, then it might be a good idea to take apart the master speaker and check the internal wiring.

metla
18-06-2004, 11:01 AM
whoa,before anyone goes taking apart the speakers,test the headphones on another device first,they will be the weakest link.

Graham L
18-06-2004, 02:30 PM
The socket will have a switch in it so that plugging the headphones in disconnects the speakers. No software involved.

The weakest point is the wire to the headphones (especially just where it leaves the plug).

Murray P
18-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Which is why I suggested, first off, plugging the headphones in to the CD jack. if that doesn't work, suspect the headphones.

Supergran, can you get your mits on anothe rset of headphone you know work ok?

Cheers Murray P

Terry Porritt
18-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Just another thing, "Hi-Fi" stereo headphones with a 1/4" jack plug reduced down with a 3.5mm adapter to suit the speaker socket will give infinitely better sound quality than the tinnier "computer" headphones.

promethius
18-06-2004, 09:41 PM
I have the same sort of setup, and I was wondering if anyone knows, would it effect the sound quality if it was plugged into the socket on the speaker? Would plugging directly into the sound card gain any quality?

Not trying to hijack the thread, just one question and I'm gone...I promise :p

somebody
18-06-2004, 09:51 PM
promethius,

It can, but in any case, the quality change would be so little that you would not notice it at all.

Baldy
18-06-2004, 10:04 PM
> If my understanding is correct, then it might be a
> good idea to take apart the master speaker and check
> the internal wiring.

LOL LOL - don't think reformatting would have any effect on the internals of the speakers

supergran
18-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, sorry for the delay getting back here, but been busy day. I did try another set of headphones before I posted here, there is no headphone jack anywhere on the front of the tower, and I can't get to the back easily. LOL The speakers are working, so guess I will just have to try and find time to ring Compaq, but thanks for the suggestions.

Murray P
19-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Do you have a little pop out panel at the front or near the front on the side, with USB, etc. A headphone and mic jack are often provided there.

I don't know what the world is coming to when they no longer provide a jack in the CD/DVD face plate.

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
19-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Supergran

I think phoning Compaq will be a frustrating and fruitless waste of time.

The relationship between the heaphones and the speaker is electro-mechanical, i.e. a mechanical plug and socket transferring an audio signal.

It is best to check the headphones first, and I doubt that there would be many houses in NZ that didn't have a radio, TV, stereo or other audio device with a 3.5 mm phone jack. Find such a device in your house, a neighbours or a local shop and try them out.

The only proviso here is that your speaker system may be a master/slave unit. The master would have a power cord as well and take low-level audio from your computer and may also have volume and tone controls. The second speaker would plug into the master because that is where the amplified signal will come from. In a master/slave unit it is remotely possible that the headphone outlet could be muted, but if inserting the headphones shut off the speakers (to give superhubby the peace he desired) then this won't be the case.

Logically then, the only places for the fault to exist are in the headpones themselves, or the socket they plug into. Does plugging them in still shut off the speakers? If it does then it is 99% certain that the headphones are faulty. Test by the means outlines above, or borrow another set of headphones to try.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
19-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Promethius: If your card is a modern one, it is unlikely to have an amplifier, so you might have trouble hearing anything (whatever the quality) if the phones are plugged into the "speaker" output. ;-) A Line output, even though it's "line level" might be as bad, because it is at a reasonably high impedance.