PDA

View Full Version : Tool for rebuilding registry in Windows 2000, ideas?

robo
17-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I have searched PF1 a little and found nothing too obvious. I have a sick notebook that will not let me boot with networking in safe mode, but can boot in safe mode. Registry seems to be the problem. Boot normally and it bluescreens as soon as you hit "Delete" in the three finger salute. Took about four goes to spot the word registry on the bluescreen as it dumps fast and restarts.

I looked at a registry rebuild tool on Microsoft web site but you need the startup disks and have to create them and use disk 6, etc and it seems to be a bit of a drama.

Anyone got any suggestions? Notebook has no floppy, can't do network connect, but I can use memory key and have run full virus scan with latest defs (did that before I spotted registry message).

Suggestions appreciated, as always.
robo.

mikebartnz
17-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I don't know if the Recovery Console would be any use to you assuming the cd works. I have loaded mine to the HD so I get another start up option

Lohsing
17-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Why not do a re-install/repair of Windows 2000...? Write over the registry completely... and install drivers where necessary.

I can't imagine you'd lose all your data?

Lo.

antmannz
17-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Have you seen this site (http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-1032874-2.html)?

Note that the process described involves exporting and recreating the registry, and works because corrupted records apparently don't get exported.

johnboy
17-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Also this site Here (http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/53/4896.html?1060799166) scrool down to registry
hth

robo
17-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Ant
I saw this, but it doesn't seem to cover W2k. I couldn't find user.dat and system.dat for the life of me. I think they are win9x only. I am a little rusty on Win2K, but I am pretty sure these files don't exist.
robo.

robo
17-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Johnboy
Same as Antmanzz's. Win9x only, I think.
Damn, it shouldn't be this hard.
I could try to boot off CD, but it doesn't have CD, and try doing a repair. Every time I have done that it failed in the past.
The standard company policy is rebuild PC with ghost but the user has just had a heart attack, can't come in to the office, and has data on it that he wants kept. A holistic view suggests that not getting the notebook going means he can relax more and recover.
Anyone got any other suggestions?
robo.

Billy T
17-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Worrying about his data may delay recovery.:(

This is another issue that is out of my field of experience, but why not hook up a new drive (IDG must have a few trial notebook drives around) load an OS, any OS, use one of those notebook drive patch cables to hook up the dud as a slave, extract the data, put it all back together with original drive, reformat & reinstall.

It sound simple if you type it quickly all in one sentence and can read without moving your lips. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

mikebartnz
17-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Have a look for ntuser.dat in Documents and Settings

metla
17-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Your kidding,with all the resources available you can't get access to a w2k cd?

have you tried fixing it in safe mode?,at all?

,theres a dozen courses of attack,and in an extreme case just partion the drive,move the data into a safe place.

This mythical registry rebuilder sounds sweet,i'll ask the fairy godmother for one next st.patricks day.

mikebartnz
17-06-2004, 11:49 PM
You are going to have a long wait Metla.

mikebartnz
17-06-2004, 11:53 PM
system.alt in \Windows\system32\config may be the other one.

robo
18-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Gee, Metla, do you ever wonder why people get annoyed with you?

Have you tried reading what I posted? At all?

I spent about two hours on it in safe mode. It works fine in safe mode. That's how I loaded the AV update, and did a full scan. But it won't network, and I don't know how to edit the registry in a hex editor to spot the corruption. Perhaps someone of Metla's ability does that in their sleep.

It's a notebook, the company support is in Australia, mostly inexperienced and thick and stick to corporate process and that is "wipe the bugger and reinstall". That is the last resort. Extracting data off a notebook when I don't know where the data is because the user is intensive care is not an easy option either.

I was hoping someone may have a constructive suggestion.
robo.
(crawls into bunker with asbestos suit on)

metla
18-06-2004, 10:30 AM
I fully understand why some people get annoyed with me,strange as it may seem i like the way i am.

Murray P
18-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Is there a spare partion the drive or enough space to create one (Knoppix CD would do the trick) or, as Bill says just image the whole kit and kaboodle to another drive then do a repairon the lappies drive with a win2k CD or the rescue disk. If you choose the step by step repair option (something to that effect) it gives you the option to replace or not file by file (pretty tedious but it should get you there). Sorry for the vagueness, a bit rusty I haven't done it for a while.

Install Repair (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/install.html) Windows 2k/XP, has got me out of the poo before, hope it does the trick.

Cheers Murray P

metla
18-06-2004, 11:28 AM
oh,and no hex editing in my sleep needed,your miles away.

Although i could either fix that unit or retrieve the data with my eyes closed.

Perhaps you should pass the laptop onto someone a little bit more capable?

antmannz
18-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Outstanding link MurrayP.

Wish I knew about that product activation bypass for XP reinstalling before I reinstalled XP 3 times on my Dad's PC, and had to sit on the phone to MS for about an hour. :(

Robo: personally I'd crack open the case, and copy the entire contents of the drive (except the Winnt folder) to another - preferably a PC with a CDR so the info can be burnt. Reinstall Win2k (using the legit key/serial you have obtained from the registry) and copy the rest back via your burnt CD. Then not only do you have a working laptop, but also a backup. :)
Might be quicker in the long run than p***ing about trying to rehash the reg; although I guess you've already spent some time on it. *shrug*