PDA

View Full Version : O/E and adaware

Young Tom
17-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Just ran adaware only to find that it took out the local server etc ,so as to make O/E inoperative.
I have mentioned this b4 and it was suggested that this might happen,what have I missed??;)

Laura
17-06-2004, 04:03 PM
That's a pretty sweeping statement, Tom
Ad-aware's used by so many people on this forum that if it had such dramatic powers, I'm sure it would've come up before''.
Please tell us where you "mentioned it before" and what replies that got..
"Took out the local server" sounds drastic enough for this newb to wonder what else was happening on your system at the time...?
I'm still learning - and I haven't done anything fancy with this programme - but found its basic version has given no trouble.
Wait for the real experts to start offering advice - but meantime you'd better state the obvious they'll ask first.
Computer specs & OS & what else did you install/change?

Young Tom
17-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Posted by: whiskeytangofoxtrot Posts: 1045 / From: Wgtn / Registered: Apr, 2003
Usually virus scanners change the settings so they can scan POP3 mail as it's downloaded.

Though that looks like user error, rather than a virus scanner changing it.

This is what I was on about Laura,may not have put it right b4.

tweak\'e
17-06-2004, 09:06 PM
sometimes if a spyware isn't removed correctly it can break a few programs tho OE is not a comman one to break.

what error messages do you get?

what is listed in the adaware logs?

what antivirus are you running?

Winston001
17-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Go to MS for an OE update?

Young Tom
22-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Thank you Twee,all is well at the moment so will report back if this happens again,what you do need with compu's you all agree is a good memory,which is not nice because I don't have one.

Old Win may have hit the nail on the head,I see SP 1 has not been downloaded,will do updates and see what happens.
Do remember chaps this not my computer,so can't take all the blame

but I love you all ;)