PDA

View Full Version : how bass works?

yingxuan
17-06-2004, 12:10 PM
The basses of earphone contains a magnet and coil inside the earphone.When sound travel through the cord to the earpiece the coil hits the magnet producing the bass.
IS this how it works?

mark c
17-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Dunno, but http://www.howstuffworks.com is great for this sort of thing.:D

Sb0h
17-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Kind of. The electrical signal from the amplifier travels up the cord to the coil. The electrical signal causes a temporary magnetic field around the coil which repels it from the magnet causing the surface of the driver to vibrate. This vibration creates the sound. Earphones don't have a very large surface area so they can't produce bass frequencies very well. But they use the space in your ear like a bass enclosure to help emphasise those frequencies. That's why if you take headphones off all you hear is the tinny upper frequency range.

whetu
17-06-2004, 12:35 PM
>When sound travel through the cord to the earpiece the coil hits the magnet producing the bass.
>IS this how it works?

not quite...

the sound which is little more than an electrical charge, passes off the cord and onto the coil, which produces a magnetic field. The fixed magnet produces a magnetic field by itself, and the two magnetic fields repel/attract each other appropriately as positive/negative charges are applied.

This extremely small movement, if sped up fast enough and tied onto a cone (in the case of loudspeakers) or membrane (in the case of headphones, tweeters), can reproduce sound

yingxuan
17-06-2004, 01:05 PM
the larger the magnetic field the deeper the bass?

Sb0h
17-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Not necessarily. Bass is produced by the cone moving a large amount of air at a slow frequency. So really bass is a combination of both the size of the driver and the "throw" or distance that the cone can move back and forth to shift the air. Simply increasing the strength of the magnetic field in the coil will not increase bass performance. It really depends on what you are talking about...do you mean increased bass volume or lower frequency ie better bass response. If you are looking for "deeper" bass then you need to get a bigger driver as this will move more air.

tweak\'e
17-06-2004, 01:16 PM
why do they always just want da bass ??

for bass its mainly size and power that counts. bigger the speaker/cone the deaper the bass. obvoiusly your not going to get good bass out of headphones. try a 12-15 inch sub :)

yingxuan
17-06-2004, 01:18 PM
I am studying how bass works!

tweak\'e
17-06-2004, 02:01 PM
sorry ....habit from years of bass heads asking silly questions ;-)

as far as bass goes....bass is simply low frenquency sound. it comes down to what speakers are more effecient and accurate in makeing low fequency sound.

Billy T
17-06-2004, 04:19 PM
> for bass its mainly size and power that counts.
> try a 12-15 inch sub :)

OK tweak'e, took your advice. Making the headband was the hard part, but da bass is terrific. Problem is, this rig is making my neck hurt and my chinnnnnnnnn keepssssssss hittinggggggggggg theeeeee keyboardddd......

Cheersssssssss BBBiilllyyy 888888-{))))))

promethius
17-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Subs should be boxed as well :D I can see it now :p

Billy T
17-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Bugger X-(

I wanted to hit my 3K-post milestone with a serious techo answer, then I went and blew it with an OT aside. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Capt.Hook
17-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Yingxuan,
as long as you don't mistake bass for hapuka,
you will do fine with your studies;)

yingxuan
21-06-2004, 01:25 PM
earphones doesn't have a cone in them what does it use insteaD?

Billy T
21-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Yes they do, it just isn't as big or obvious. Some use piezo-electric transducers but that is a low quality approach.

Something has to be there to convert electrical signals into air pressure (sound) waves.

Cheers Billy 8-{)

Sb0h
21-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Earphones use a small membrane, much like a tiny version of a tweeter. Good headphones like the Stax range use electrostatic panels....used to have a pair of those...nice. Unfortunately some low-life decided they needed them more than I and removed them while I was at work one day.

MrBeef
21-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Bass is cool. I just hooked up a Sony sub with a Sony 222w amp to my JVC 50w x 4 headdeck, it goes boom boom now.