PDA

View Full Version : High-pitched whine from monitor

Allblack
17-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Guys, before I go to Quay Computers with this, I thought I might throw this problem out to see if anyone has any ideas..

I have a six-month old Philips 19" CRT monitor. It's a thing of beauty, however in the last 3-4 weeks when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator it has started with a VERY high-pitched whine that won't go away. It's the sort of noise that drives dogs nuts!

Curiously, it only happens with Flight Simulator. Normal e-mail/internet use is fine, it runs Far Cry and Call of Duty no problem, but as soon as FS is running, on comes the noise.

This is so bizarre I even got a second opinion, and tried three games last night in various orders, on it only happened during FS.

I've turned off the speakers to make sure it's not them (doh!), and turned off the monitor to make sure it's not the PC itself - which it isn't.

Occasionally turning off the monitor for 10secs and turning back on will fix the problem, but only very rarely.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm flummoxed as to how the game being played can effect this noise, to the point where I'm not even sure Quay will believe me!

Cheers
Tim

somebody
17-06-2004, 08:53 AM
It will have something to do with the refresh rate and resolution which Flight Simulator is running at. Can you manually set them to the same resolution you use for normal desktop use (somewhere in game options), and see if it fixes your problem.

Allblack
17-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that, it's an interesting comment.

The problem has only come about since I installed Call of Duty, and everytime I play it I need to click on a setting that automatically sets up the "best" performance level for the game. The screen flickers and the loading page goes from dull to very clear!

This ties in quite nicely with your comment......

To the best of my knowledge, my system is still set on 1024 X 768, so I'm not sure what has gone wrong for me to be able to fix?

I'll have a look at it tonight and see if I can do anything. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Just hope I can remedy it.

What I might do is uninstall Call of Duty (overrated anyway!) and then fiddle. Not being able to do FS is killing me!

Cheers
Tim

metla
17-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Load up fs,when the noise starts press the adjusment button on the monitor and the osd should tell you what res it is running in.

If its something you don't recorgnise....PANIC PANI PANIC.......ok,no need for that,just go into the game options and tell that particuler game to run at a more compatible option,it will be in there somewhere.

If its not the res,then something may have reconfigured your refresh rate,possibly can be tweaked via your display properties within windows.

metla
17-06-2004, 10:16 AM
And Quay computers i assure you will believe you,its not unheard of,However it isn't a warrenty issue.

Jester
17-06-2004, 10:24 AM
I had a HP 15" monitor that whistled playing one game in particular @ 85 hz. Knocking it back to 75 hz stopped the whistle - so did turning my head to the side, but then I couldn't see the screen!

J
:D

mejobloggs
17-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I also have a 19" Philips monitor. When on 1024x768 85 herts it sometimes gets a high pitch whine. Only sometimes. Changing herts, or resolutions would stop that, unfortunately, that is the way i wanted it.

Baldy
17-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi AllBlack
The high pitched whine was probably the Poms..... err, English Rugby Team

Growly
17-06-2004, 09:01 PM
My power supply does that - it's nearly dead. It could be the voltage regulator inside the screen.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-06-2004, 09:06 PM
> It's the sort of noise that drives dogs nuts!

You can talk dog language :o :p !?!?!

I, too, suspect that it is a problem with the refresh rate at which the game is operating at. Perhaps lowering it might help.

My 2 cent worth anyway

Allblack
18-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys for all your comments.

Last night I changed the settings in FS to 1024x768x32, but it still looked a bit dodgy....

So I changed it to 1024x768x16 and it looks great, and doesn't make a noise.

To be honest, I haven't a clue about what I've done, but that's a story for another day. I also don't know why the monitor "squeals" if these settings are out of kilter.

In someone wants to explain that in SIMPLE TERMS, then they'll find an eager listener in me, otherwise all's good.

Thanks again
Tim

godfather
18-06-2004, 10:03 AM
The scan frequency signal that result from resolution settings is applied to the "yoke" or deflection coil.

That coil is large, and surrounds the "neck" of the CRT.

The scan signals are a ramping waveform and will naturally cause high frequency "squealing" that is outside human hearing (e.g. 40 kHz)

Some frequency settings (and the scan signals that result) could cause vibrations at a sub-multiple (sub-harmonic) causing resonation of some mechanical part at say, half the frequency. This depends on there being something that will resonate and vibrate at that frequency, and if there is then thats what you are hearing.

Moving the scan frequency (by changing resolution) and the frequency moves away from the natural resonance of the mechanical part. Then you don't hear it.

Its not rocket science, its a vibration.

Allblack
18-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks Godfather for that simple, easily understood explanation.

Basically, the thingy wraps around the hoodacky, and shakes it's bootie till the whatchimacallit throws it's toys out of the cot.

Silly me, didn't know it was that simple. : )

As I've fixed it, does that make me a rocket scientist?

Cheers
Tim

metla
18-06-2004, 10:38 AM
hmmm....sounds like rocket science to me,:D

nzStan
18-06-2004, 11:00 AM
> Some frequency settings (and the scan signals that
> result) could cause vibrations at a sub-multiple
> (sub-harmonic) causing resonation of some mechanical
> part at say, half the frequency.

And when anti-matter is introduced into the sub-multiple stream we get a space-time continuum. ;\

Allblack
18-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Damn! I thought we got beer.

Oh well, I'll throw my anti-matter out next rubbish day, and sell my sub-multiple stream on eBay.

Tim
Rocket Scientist

metla
18-06-2004, 12:36 PM
This is the latest way of travelling through space without out the need for all that tedious jumping in and out of hyperspace. The principal of generating finite amounts of improbability are so bloody obvious that I wont go into them here.

Well alright, Iíll go into it a bit. The standard approach was to use say, a Babmblweeny 57 Submesion Brain to an Atomic Vector Plotter submerged in a nice hot cup of tea, and this had long been understood. Such gizmos were used to break the ice at parties by making the underwear of various female guests jump away from the unsuspecting (or possibly suspecting) victims body.

Many respectable physicists were not too chuffed with this usage of the technology and attempted to make a more substantial use of it by developing a drive for a spaceship. These were a real bunch on no-hopers (not normally invited to the types of parties mentioned above) and they ultimately failed.

It was left to a student who reasoned that if such a machine is such an impossibility, then it must logically be a finite improbability (obvious isnít it!?). So, the student geezer calculated the probability (or improbability) and fed the answer into an improbability generator (that was just lying around), and made a nice cup of hot tea, and turned it on! (not the tea, the generator). Presto!! The infinite Improbability Drive was discovered!

Yep, these Infinite Improbability Drives aren't made, theyíre impossibility erm... calculated.

Allblack
18-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Agreed, however you left out the beer.

Maybe godfather can explain the whole beer/underwear calculation to ensure that it's works to the required functionality.

I bought the latest Babmblweeny v57.1; but returned it to Microsoft coz my beer tasted like tea.

Apparently the problemr will be fixed by way of a patch.

Am I the only one worried about the beer?

R2x1
18-06-2004, 02:08 PM
>> Am I the only one worried about the beer?

Now THAT is infinitely improbable :)

R2