PDA

View Full Version : strange thing in WIN.INI

ianbon
16-06-2004, 06:16 PM
My computer has been behaving strangely on the internet, often freezing, and while looking at msconfig to spot any gremlins, I saw in win.ini a line starting [setAxxx001]. If i clicked the '+' sign next to it four lines appeared, starting with Desc0, desc1, desc2 and desc3 respectively, followed by '=' and characters like CECGCE and on and on. Is this bad stuff? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere on the internet.
Thanks if you can help!

agent_24
16-06-2004, 06:34 PM
do a backup then delete those lines and see what happens...

or try a spyware/virus search - that probably what it is

ianbon
16-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks. It's not spyware, or at least not detected by spybot or adaware, latest versions, fully updated. i have unticked them and nothing bad has happened, so far! I guess I'll leave it like that, but I would like to know what they're there for.

agent_24
16-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Interesting, now that I have had a look at my Win.ini I can see all sorts of weirdo stuff.....

godfather
16-06-2004, 10:00 PM
My crystal ball suggests you run XP Pro.

Remember that the Win.ini file is only needed for old 16 bit compatability, normal XP 32 bit programs will not need it.

The entries could therefore have relevance to any old legacy software you may have installed.

ianbon
17-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks, yes you're right, I do run XP Pro. And your suggestion that it might refer to legacy software makes sense, and explains why I can't find reference to it on the net.

Terry Porritt
17-06-2004, 10:53 AM
The other thing you can do with entries in files like win.ini and system.ini that you think may be suspect, is to use an editor like Notepad and put a semi-colon in front of the line. This will tell the system to ignore the instruction on that line. Then you can see if there is any difference to your system when you restart.

ianbon
17-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Good idea. Thanks.