PDA

View Full Version : BitDefender Standard Edition vs Free Edition

heni72847
16-06-2004, 05:05 PM
can't seem to find the differnce between the free edition and the standard edition on their product website..

anyone used them and know if the free version is good enough or not?

falvrez
16-06-2004, 08:27 PM
i have some home pcs (well, more than one) and have downloaded both versions just tonight.

The free version seems almost identical except for the built in firewall and also it doesn't have a resident shield (bummer).
Pro trial version has these and looks great - only problem and (shockingly so) is that on installing the free version, updating it and then running a scan it found a virus in its own setup.exe ....man that is just plain scary!
Downloaded both directly from the bitdefender website BTW.
Just running a full scan using the pro version now, will be interesting to see if it also has a virus in the exe.

merlin-nz
16-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi
Interested in BitDefender AntiVirus program and was wondering if you can run two AntiVirus programs (AVG), would there be a confict, or would they work with each other or fight like bloody hell. :p:D

Am very happy with AVG but if BitDefender AntiVirus will work and not fight two heads is better than one so the saying goes.

Any thought please.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

JohnD
16-06-2004, 08:52 PM
As far as I know most antivirus programs will live together on the same PC - but not all. I have recently been installing IBM eTrust network version on a school LAN. THis antivirus will not install properly and locks the OS if you don't uninstall other antivirus programs first. YOu are warned of this before you start.

heni72847
16-06-2004, 10:09 PM
resident shield ??
wat's dat?

sori.. might be a stupid question..

tweak\'e
16-06-2004, 10:20 PM
resident sheild...

basicly the antivirus scans every file in use in the background. i think with bitdefender the free one only has manual virus scanning. ie good for cleaning out a virus AFTER you have got it. the idea of resident sheild or auto protect is to catch the virus as its downloaded or as it tries to run.

dumdum
16-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Just done a scan with BitDefender(out of curiosity) and it found 20 l/O errors.Anyone know what these refer to,as I have never come across these before.And can't find any reference to them in the help section.
Thanks.

Graham L
17-06-2004, 02:12 PM
I/O errors are "usually" caused by bad blocks on a disk. ;-) Or :_| You won't find a reference in the BitDefender help, because the OS does all I/O (Input/Output), and passes the results to programmes.

Try a "thorough" scandisk.

dumdum
17-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that Graham most useful.

Cheers
DD