PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox 0.9 is out NOW!!!!

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2004, 03:18 AM
Yup, its here, the long-awaited 0.9 release:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/FirefoxSetup-0.9.exe
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz

Installing Firefox

Once you have downloaded a Firefox installer or compressed archive, follow these instructions to install:
Windows

Double click the FirefoxSetup-0.9.exe installer to start the install.

NOTE - Do not install Firefox over the top of another Firefox installation. If you want to install Firefox 0.9 into the same folder that you had Firefox 0.8 in, uninstall Firefox 0.8 first. Upgrading will be fixed in a future release.

Linux/GTK2

Extract the tarball and run the installer like so:

tar -xzvf firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz
cd firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft/
./firefox-installer

Changes You Should Be Aware Of
Profile Folder

Firefox 0.9 now stores your user data in one of the following locations:

Windows Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
MacOS X ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox
Linux ~/.mozilla/firefox/

Old Extensions and Themes

To prevent the kind of problems we had with the 0.8 release (users were having the browser not start with "No XBL Binding for Browser" errors, and finding that their theme was broken), when you run 0.9 for the first time all of your extensions will be automatically disabled, and the theme will be reset to the default. You must then look for newer versions of your extensions that are compatible with Firefox 0.9 since the extension API has changed. After Firefox 0.9 these updates should be more seamless.

Now, why is this release dubbed "One Tree Hill"??

Enjoy!

Chill.

kiki
16-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Cheers Chill. :)

I wish they would make it easier to upgrade and seamlessly integrate your old profile with the new :| Takes a bit of fiddling round now.

If oyu want to be a Guinea pig you can also download the nightly betas for Firefox and Thunderbird. I sometimes do that.

bengoodger
16-06-2004, 08:17 AM
"Now, why is this release dubbed "One Tree Hill"??"

Because I lived under its shadow for ten years ;-) 0.7 was Three Kings, 0.8 was Royal Oak, 1.0b will be Greenlane.

-Ben

Murray P
16-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Chill.

BTW, 2:18 am. You playing games or did you wet the bed :_| same for you kiki ;)

Nice to here from you again Ben

Cheers Murray P

paulw
16-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Any one been able to download and install the themes on this version.?? I see it pop into the theme window then vanishes. Worked fine with version .8

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Wow! Didnt think Ben would still be around, surprising :-)

Murray>
Nah, no games nor bed-wetting here, I'd been out playing pool til midnight and came back and decided to try and Google for some Linux compatible USB TV-Tuner Cards ;-) Lucky for me KNewsTicker updated itself and I went to the Firefox website and grabbed the source before I went to sleep around 4am. Its compiling now :D

Paulw>
Themes usually need to be tweaked by the developer slightly to work with each new release. The reakon it should be a lot more seamless next time around :-)

paulw
16-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanx Chilling. I have restored the Firefox directory from last nite Ghost backup and will wait for the next version of Firefox when the fix the installer problem of not being able to upgrade over top of an existing version..

45South
16-06-2004, 12:12 PM
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/FirefoxSetup-0.9.exe
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz

45South
16-06-2004, 12:16 PM
I posted the 2 links above as Chills links were broken because of the space between "Fir efoxSetup"
but when I pasted the links they came up the same
Why?
Installed & working well

Susan B
16-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Argh!! I have only just installed the last latest one. :D

Hmmm.... your links don't work for me Chill. No matter, plenty of other places to get it from. ;-)

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Geez.. PressF1 and URL's just dont mix... Try this:
Mozilla FTP Directory List - Pick ya own (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/)

:-)

Chill.

SKT174
16-06-2004, 01:13 PM
where about is the Bookmark stored on the old Firefox 0.8 ?

Susan B
16-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Bookmarks are in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.3zl

SKT174
16-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks Susan .. but that's the new 0.9RC Firefox .. I'm after the previous version :(

SKT174
16-06-2004, 01:38 PM
It's okay . I have managed to export it :) Cheers

Susan B
16-06-2004, 03:35 PM
> Thanks Susan .. but that's the new 0.9RC Firefox .. I'm after the previous version :(

Strange.... I haven't even got the 0.9RC Firefox installed yet. :D

Never mind, at least you solved it. :-)