PDA

View Full Version : linux server



bpt1
15-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I shall be setting up a small office network (5 PCs) with a file/ print/ dial-up server. I want to use linux as my server software and perhaps as client os as well.
I have the option of a pIII 500 dual processor with 384MB RAM or a pIII 500 single processor with 768 MB RAM. Which should I get.
Any general advice re setting up the linux network?

Thanks

Bernard

whiskeytangofoxtrot
15-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Either machine would be more than adequate for the job.

mikebartnz
16-06-2004, 12:02 AM
I suspect the extra ram may be more usefull.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Potentially, though dual processor would be kinda nice.

Depends on what you plan to serve on it to an extent.

Put the extra RAM into the dual-proc box, then we're getting somewhere.

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2004, 02:13 AM
If its a File / Print / Dial-up server then I'd use the one with the most RAM, and save the faster one to be used as a Desltop, for two reasons:
1. The speed of the Dual-CPU PC is a lot better for a desktop, and 384MB Ram is enough to run linux without swapping most of the time
2. A server will use more RAM better if its file-serving small files over and over, or serving http. Otherwise, you could use a P100 for the job, with 64MB Ram and notice precious little difference ;-)

Check out Slackware, its quite nice for servers IMO :-)


Chill.

nzStan
16-06-2004, 08:23 AM
> I shall be setting up a small office network (5 PCs)
> with a file/ print/ dial-up server. I want to use
> linux as my server software and perhaps as client os
> as well.
> I have the option of a pIII 500 dual processor with
> 384MB RAM or a pIII 500 single processor with 768 MB
> RAM. Which should I get.
> Any general advice re setting up the linux network?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bernard


This is a rather small network to require a dual processor server, unless you are running some very intensive processes on it. So without more details of the kind of office environment you are setting up, I will probably go for the single processor and more RAM, and save the money for the other client PCs.

bpt1
16-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I can get hold of either machine for about $120. So I think I'll go for the one with the higher RAM.

B

Nigel Thomson
16-06-2004, 12:25 PM
> Thanks for the advice. I can get hold of either
> machine for about $120. So I think I'll go for the
> one with the higher RAM.
>
> B

Where abouts are you to be able to get those machines at that price?
down here in Invers I can't seem to find anything even vaguely decent (in regards to old machines) for that price

nzStan
16-06-2004, 12:29 PM
They would be ex-leased or junkyard servers.

Look for computer brokers that deal in second hand equipment. But beware - their warranty is only between one to three months (or remainder of manufacturer's warranty).

Not sure about Invercargill, there are quite a few of these brokers in Auckland.

bpt1
16-06-2004, 09:10 PM
These are ex Government department computers made available to schools and community groups in South Australia where I now live.

Growly
16-06-2004, 09:35 PM
And therein lies another reason why we should all move to Aussie.

mikebartnz
16-06-2004, 09:55 PM
> And therein lies another reason why we should all move to Aussie.
And Helen should be the one to turn the lights out.