PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Connectivity

jcr1
15-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, at this stage, has anyone configured a wireless internet connection to work with Linux?
I have recently been connected, using the Fonterra-Telecom (Xtra?) partnership. It works very well, now that I have tweaked the connection; Xtra wouldn't provide any support for this, of course, but I have trebled speeds from 8-10 KBps to 28-30 KBps, just with a simple registry tweak.
But I've thought, I wondert if I can get this to work with Linux. I haven't used Linux for nigh on 9 months now, but you Linux people seem to have a lot of fun with it and my curiosity is getting the better of me.

whetu
15-06-2004, 04:49 PM
what kind of connectivity equipment are you using?

If you are connecting through an external box then it's just a matter of IP addresses... any operating system with a tcp/ip stack can access wireless through an external device that uses ethernet

If however you are using an internal card, linux support is extensive for the more popular cards, however I have a feeling you'd be using something a bit more proprietary... like gtrans on crack or something

jcr1
15-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Its a large beige box, 35 cm long,18 cm wide by 3 cm deep and its referred to by the technician as a "Service Interface Unit". I can't find another name on it.
It connects to my computer by an ethernet cable (I had to install a PCI network card so I could retain my wireless LAN).
On the back it is referred to as "Type 42 ST Service Interface Unit".
When I was querying how I could retain my network, I got mixed messages, one of which was to the effect it wouldn't run off a switch or hub; hence installing the extra NIC.
I couldn't get much sense (maybe just my lack of understanding) when I talked about IP addresses.
Does any of this make any sense Whetu?

fergie
15-06-2004, 09:14 PM
hey - may i ask, how much is that service costing you?
Thanks

whetu
15-06-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm going to assume it was installed by a Downer Connect technician?

If it uses ethernet then there shouldnt be a problem.. write down whatever your gateway, subnet and dns addresses are, plonk those into any OS with a tcp/ip stack and you should be away laughing...

The not working in a switch/hub sounds like a load of bollocks to me.. just talking down to you to try to prevent multiple users on one connection... plug it into a switch and find out though, and if that doesnt work, no biggy.. just pop a router such as smoothwall into the mix