PDA

View Full Version : What Constitutes an XP Crash?

Winston001
14-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Gone is the blue screen of death with XP - or so I am told. I run XP Pro and have had a fair few interruptions but not what I would call a crash.

Just read Mejobloggs post referring to crashes caused by Age of Empires. I deleted that game demo cos my Compaq NX9005 froze up completely 3 times out of 4. Athlon 2.2 with 512 RAM.

So what does a crash look like these days? Are we all talking about the same thing?

Signed
Curious Mother of Ten

Elephant
14-06-2004, 09:33 PM
> Gone is the blue screen of death with XP - or so I am
> told. I run XP Pro and have had a fair few
> interruptions but not what I would call a crash.
>
> Just read Mejobloggs post referring to crashes caused
> by Age of Empires. I deleted that game demo cos my
> Compaq NX9005 froze up completely 3 times out of 4.
> Athlon 2.2 with 512 RAM.
>
> So what does a crash look like these days? Are we all
> talking about the same thing?

This is very good question. I would like to know the answer as well.

From what I understand a crash originally indicated a hard drive head landing on a platter and causing physical damage to the hard drive.

Depending on you who hear from a "crash" can indicate anything from the fact the the computer will not boot or it "freezes" or it "won't work" or "I don't know what happened"

Greg S
14-06-2004, 10:07 PM
My experience of XP over a year is that it's never 'crashed'. What's happened a few times is software glitches that have caused system freezes. Normally ending the task puts it straight back to normal. the operating system itself is incedibly stable

metla
14-06-2004, 10:10 PM
I would call it scalable,from a program needing to be shutdown to complete system failure....and everything inbetween,

And i would guess that they crashed well before harddrives were implemented.

Terry Porritt
14-06-2004, 10:15 PM
I've had the dreaded blue screen with XP Pro maybe a couple of times or so, with a screenful of message which suggests there is a hardware problem, but sorry can't remember what it says in detail. Only a re-boot will then get rid of it.

This has been very infrequent though, and has occurred when listening to streaming audio, and doodling with Solitaire, nothing to put my finger on.

Susan B
14-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree with Metla - an XP "crash" can vary from a "simple" freeze-up of a program or Windows itself to a full-blown computer shutdown complete with scandisk check upon booting up again.

I have had a number of the latter recently, due to software conflicts, and it isn't very pleasant. :-(

mejobloggs
14-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Winston, I am sure it is one of the work programs my Dad has.

Can you list your programs please?

Email them to me > mejobloggs at hotmail dot com, and we can compare programs. Also, list your services in msconfig, ermm, possible to copy them. So we can compare, if you wish.

My current suspect is a service that runs, as I looked on the AOE help, and it suggested taking all my services off.

I have had spooler.exe crash when trying to set up a network.

That started happening after installing Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Mike
14-06-2004, 10:47 PM
> I've had the dreaded blue screen with XP Pro
> maybe a couple of times or so, with a screenful of
> message which suggests there is a hardware problem,

I've got a screensaver on CD somewhere that reproduces one of those nasty XP BSODs, with all the technical details etc. Its quite amusing to put it onto someone elses PC :D

Mike.

Baldy
14-06-2004, 10:55 PM
> Gone is the blue screen of death with XP - or so I am
> told. I run XP Pro and have had a fair few
> interruptions but not what I would call a crash.
>
> Just read Mejobloggs post referring to crashes caused
> by Age of Empires. I deleted that game demo cos my
> Compaq NX9005 froze up completely 3 times out of 4.
> Athlon 2.2 with 512 RAM.
>
> So what does a crash look like these days? Are we all
> talking about the same thing?
>
> Signed
> Curious Mother of Ten

Hello Curious Mother Of Ten
I'm not surprised you have had a fair few interuptions with all those Children. Are you by chance, related to Old Mother Hubbard?

mejobloggs
14-06-2004, 11:25 PM
sorry, not spooler.exe, but spoolsv.exe

willie_M
14-06-2004, 11:44 PM
mahubbard ali...

anyway...

with XP i refer to a crash as the bastard not going anywhere.... try to look at the network, but noooo, can't do that. It could be productive.

What theres something wrong with your computer? I can fix it. Oh no I can't, its XP. And XPs a biatch.... look... look at it sit and ponder endlessly about what it wants to do next.... hello, anyone home? *taps screen* anyone home? *kicks case* Blue screen??? Whats that? A hardware error created by a software application at memory adress x505somethingorother999?

WTF iIS THAT!!!! WHERES MY BROCOLLI!!!! *smashed screen with keyboard* Why why why!!! *picks up case, smashes it onto ground* ARGHHH!!! *jumps up and down on case violently until sparks and smoke emerge from it and electrical components and circuit board are smashed and broken lying on the ground around the dead computer*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston001
15-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Very helpful Willie :D

Must go. The kids you understand. More interruptions.

Love to all,

Mum

willie_M
15-06-2004, 04:04 AM
*sits in corner tapping head and mumbling sadisticly to himself*

mark c
15-06-2004, 10:31 AM
HaHaHaHaHa willie_M. Gave me a good laugh on a cold Tuesday morn.:D