PDA

View Full Version : I.E 6 Popup blockers etc...

J ZEP
14-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi All, was just hoping some of you may be able to give me some recommendations on some good addons for I.E, to help with Security etc... mainly i guess a good popup stopper first. Story is i have just done a clean out of a friends, friends (lol) puter - full of all sorts! you name it!! Anyway i have been using "firefox"and previous to that "firebird" myself, for some time now, so i am not really up on the latest popup stoppers etc... for I.E 6 unfortunately... I do plan on leaving "firefox" on her puter for her and encouraging her to use it, however... old habits die hard with some, so i would like to leave some added protection on I.E6, for if she does carry on using that. The Spybot site recommends using "google toolbar"with popup stopper??? Has anybody got any feedback on that please, or anything else i could use to up the security on I.E. (apart from all the updates etc... which i have done ;-)). I will also leave "Spybot" on, so as i say, i guess just a good popup stopper would be a good start point.
TIA

Pheonix
14-06-2004, 05:36 PM
The google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com/) seems to have a good reputation, and is free.
Doesn't come with any spyware, as long as you just use the basic mode and not the advanced, I am told.

godfather
14-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I agree.
The Google Toolbar works just fine for me.
I get no added spyware or adware, and my PC seems to remain clean so its fine by me.

Greg S
14-06-2004, 07:47 PM
You might want to consider Kerio pro version - firewall, popup blocker and all sorts of other good things in one bundle

J ZEP
15-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks Pheonix & GF, thats just what i was hoping to hear Re: Google toolbar. My main worry was if perhaps it did have any spyware/adware, as that was one of her main problems to start with! So its good to hear it doesn't ;-).

>>> You might want to consider Kerio pro version - firewall, popup blocker and all sorts of other good things in one bundle.

Greg - That would be nice, however i think i have pretty much broken her piggy bank getting her to add some more RAM unfortunately, so it will have to be freeware for her :-). I still haven't quite decided what to do firewall wise yet, for now i am using the XP built in one, which has always done fine by me, but coincidentally i was considering putting on the Kerio free version, which I've used before... - hmmm not to sure yet, as i know i am going to confuse ?:| her enough already with half the Progs I'm leaving on for her to learn how to use ;-), without adding a firewall to it ;-). Anyway its got to be 100% better than when i got it with - no windows updates, no working antivirus, no firwall :O.

Cheers

Laura
15-06-2004, 05:45 PM
One more vote for the Google toolbar.
It has a blocking button.
On accessing a new website containing popups, you're asked whether to accept or block them.
Before long, you've blocked them from everything you usually visit.
I can't remember when I last had a popup, so it didn't take too long to get configured.
(Google tells me I've blocked 240. I'm curious to know whether that's normal for a newb...? Go on, humour me, someone....)