PDA

View Full Version : win 98 se - usb not working

ahoundau
14-06-2004, 04:09 PM
hi
i have a pc running windows 98 se, it recently went in to a pc shop for a reformat, at which time they reinstalled the o/s with there disks (it currently shows as "ms windows 98 . second edition. 4.10.2222.A" under systems properties)

now have the pc back, i cannot run any USB devices, nor dose it recgonise the devices or ports during reboot.

can i reinstall USb from my own win 98 se cd? - how do so?

thanks will

tweak\'e
14-06-2004, 04:16 PM
might need to know a little more about your pc. what speed/type cpu etc. also what ver of usb? usb1 or usb2 ?

you may need to download usb drivers and/or patch.

make sure motherboard drivers are installed first (in case shop was completely useless and didn't install them).

metla
14-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Indeed,Highly likely the chipset drivers were not installed,Do you have them on cd?

Murray P
14-06-2004, 04:17 PM
You should be able to do it from Control Panel > Devices or Control Panel > Install New Hardware (sorry if yours is a bit different, goining on memory) get your 98 CD ready for loading the drivers.

I would ask politely of the computer shop what they did to your USB ports and get the to come and have a look rather than take it in. They shouldn't be installing off their CD's anyway unless they are just upgrading your version which, doesn't sound like the case.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
14-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh! dead right tweake and metla. I'd still question their method of "fixing" the PC.

Cheers Murray P

metla
14-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Agreed,A shop performing a new install and leaving off the drivers is below expected service.

They should have ensured all devices were up and running.

Peter H
14-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Have you got the motherboard drivers disc? allthough from memory, the last time I formatted, it was not needed, as W98se put them in OK. Agree, the shop is reponsable.
Bye

Susan B
14-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I would be interested to know what the customer's rights would be in a case like this.

If it were me I would be taking the computer back to the shop and asking them to put things right, though I guess it would depend upon the services agreed to prior to the job being undertaken.

Having said that though, surely a shop can't expect a customer to be able to reinstall the motherboard and other essential drivers (eg printer) themselves after a format? An inexperienced computer user wouldn't even know there were motherboard, printer, etc drivers let alone know how to install them. To leave a customer to their own devices in that respect is pretty poor service in my view.

Give the shop a ring, ahoundau, and try and get them to put it right for you - at no extra cost.

PaulD
14-06-2004, 05:09 PM
What are the devices you can't connect?

With Win 98 don't any USB devices need their own specific drivers loaded before they can be used?

How would the shop know which printer,scanner,camera etc. etc. unless told?

tweak\'e
14-06-2004, 06:15 PM
PaulD....

correct, the scanners etc will require their own drivers before they will work. however if the usb port drivers are not installed no usb device will work properly. windows won;t even know if a device is connected.

peter h......

unless your useing pre 98se hardware then you will need the proper drivers for almost everything. NEVER rely on windows to have the drivers. (tho i must admit the odd times MS drivers work better than the manafactures ones do)

Peter H
14-06-2004, 08:24 PM
You are right tweak'e - after the format I did install the drivers for printer, scanner and card reader. I'm sure that that I did nothing else though.
Bye

Terry Porritt
14-06-2004, 08:31 PM
It is also possible that USB has been disabled in the CMOS setup, it could be worth checking.