PDA

View Full Version : Video Accelerator/Task using 90+% CPU

CerberusDog
14-06-2004, 03:37 PM
I am using Windows Xp Home Edition on a AMD XP 2100+. I've just gotten the system back from a computer repair place because the fan stopped working, they replaced the fan and heatsink.

I have a task called 'System' that using every free % of my CPU, which is generally 90%+. After searching through support.microsoft.com I think the problem is caused because my Video Accelerator isn't working.

Once I found the video accelerator was not working I uninstalled in and reinstalled it following microsoft help information and it reinstalled as something new. It's now "Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3d/Promedia", it was some VIA Graphics Controller before I believe. All it gives is a Code 10 error which isn't helpful. I've tried updating the drivers but as far as I can tell it has the newest ones, I get a message of "The wizard could not find a better match of your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

I've looked online for help and asked people I know but I can't find a way to stop it using all the CPU, some people have said not to worry but I use some DOS programs and it slows them down enough so that I can't use them for accurate events. Everything else runs fine, even computer game opening movies run better than they did before.

If anyone could give me advice on this it would be appreciated.

Sb0h
14-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Are you sure it is the system task and not the system "idle" task? System Idle should show as using 90%+ of the resources as your system is idle 90% of the time ie not doing anything.

CerberusDog
14-06-2004, 07:40 PM
It's the 'System' task, the 'System Idle Process' is 0%

Sb0h
14-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Have you tried scanning for spyware etc? Could be a nasty hiding in your system using all your resources.

CerberusDog
15-06-2004, 01:18 PM
I've run Adaware and SpyBot S&D and an AntiVirus program and they've found nothing.

Sb0h
15-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Do you have a printer hooked up to the parallel port or any older devices hooked up to a serial port? Some older devices may cause system task problems because of constant polling to the cpu. Especially if you have some print jobs stuck in a print queue.

Are you connected to the internet when this occurs? It is possible you have a modem (USB Broadband or a dial up Win modem) which is constantly flooding the cpu with interrupts.

It looks as though it is a hardware/interrupt problem. I see you suspect the video device was not installed properly. I take it you are using onboard video? Are you sure the driver you have installed is the correct one for the chip you are using? You could also check the manufacturers website for BIOS/Driver updates.

Good Luck

CerberusDog
15-06-2004, 04:03 PM
No old devices, printer is usb. It happens when I boot, being connected to the net doesn't effect it.

Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/Promedia
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

Both drivers are up to date as far as I can see, I haven't found any newer drivers for them.

Sb0h
15-06-2004, 04:34 PM
I've just done a search on google and a code 10 error appears to be an IRQ sharing problem. It looks from your latest post that you have two video drivers installed is this correct? I can only suggest you try removing the video card driver (s) and reboot and let XP re-detect it, hopefuly that will repair the conflict.

CerberusDog
15-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Uninstalled both and restarted and nothing has changed, win xp detected both.

I'd physically remove the video accelerator and reinstall it but I don't have a clue where it is. I've looked at the inside of the case but don't see anything that could be it.

CerberusDog
19-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Re-installed win xp over it'self, seems to have fixed the problem, the video accelerator still doesnt work but i dont have a cpu issue now, although netscape wont work so i'm using mozilla firefox.