PDA

View Full Version : Dell does it again

JJJJJ
14-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I have just received another two pieces of JUNK MAIL fro Dell. I have e-mailed them three times to stop sending it, but it keeps comming.
I get annoyed receiving mail addressed to "The IT Manager".
I am not , and never have been, an IT Manager. I'm just a grumpy geriatric.
How do I make them stop???
Jack

Susan B
14-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I got my first "junk mail" from Dell on Saturday. It had my address on it but not my name so they must be going through the telephone directory or something.

I won't be trying to unsubscribe though, their adverts interest me more than The Warehouse junk mail. :D

Billy T
14-06-2004, 02:24 PM
> How do I make them stop???

You can't Jack, and life's too short to burn yourself up over it either.

Accept that your mailbox will take anything poked into it, get over it and move on. In addition, this topic has already been done to death so what's the point of raising it again? Nothing short of an al Qaeda hit squad will stop the flow.

I used to get just as frustrated by virus-laden spam in my email because of sloppy security among my clients, but now I just click the delete button and let Mailwasher spirit my irritations away.

Let go of it and enjoy that which doesn't annoy you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Make a thread here. In fact a second one.

I'm sure that'll sort it out faster than anything else.

Billy T
14-06-2004, 06:42 PM
> Make a thread here. In fact a second one.

> I'm sure that'll sort it out faster than anything else.

ROFL

Jeez you're a worry WTF, now I find myself agreeing with
the sentiment you have expressed.:O

In fact, IMHO it is appropriately to the point.:^O

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|
Never thought I'd get sentimental over
a PF1 post, but WTH, go with the flow.:D

nzStan
14-06-2004, 09:20 PM
LOL I'll second that sentiment Billy.

Fact is, I am an IT Manager and I do receive tons of spam postal mails. And because I look after several companies, I get three times the number of spam postal mails and magazines. Plus my Directors automatically put any IT related mails into internal mail and I get them as well.

This morning I threw Dell, SAP, etc etc etc (all unopened) into my rubbish bin and it was full before 10am.

Don't let it get to you, definately not worth loosing sleep over it.

Woof
15-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Try posting their e-mail address ( mail_suppressions@dell.com ) on "various" bulletin boards, etc, and hope they get SPAMmed in return...

Don't get mad - Get even

Biggles
15-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Since Jack's talking about personally addressed advertising mail not email that is unlikely to do anything at all -- and I think we can safely assumed that the Dell mail servers have anti-spam software in place, don't you?

The problem is that the connection between Dell and how you end up with personally addressed mail is not necessarily a clean one. They could (I don't know, I'm just guessing here), be using a third-party ad agency/direct mail house based here to handle all this. You complain to Dell, but that request to be removed from a list never gets as far as the parties physically responsible.

Jack, if this is really annoying you then you need to formally pursue it. You need to ring Dell customer service and get the name of a person - preferably a manager - to whom you address a formal letter, outlining your complaint, a request to be removed from the mail list, and an explanation as to why your previous requests went unheeded. Send the letter by registered mail, too.

If you get no response to that, or it doesn't work, I'd suggest then sending to Geoff Palmer, our consumer watch columnist. See what response he gets out of them.

As has been pointed out before, we'd expect a company to honour a request to remove someone from an email list. This is no different. The afct that it is personally addressed means a list ha sbeen used, and there are rules about direct mail.