PDA

View Full Version : Possible Virus

WTH61
13-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi

Everytime I boot up my home PC the following file is downloaded from the internet (I have jetstream) into the folder c:\windows\temp:

omnigate.exe

I have run norton anti-virus, which indicated I have some viruses on the machine and these have now been removed, but this does not prevent this file from been downloaded each time I boot the PC (I delete it each time). I have also checked the msconfig for startup files which may execute its download. None appear to be there.

If there is some kind of virus on my PC, it is affecting the stability of the OS - Win98SE. For example the programme freecell does not work and causes a general default error. Also, the HP writer installed, its software adaptec keeps falling over.

Any ideas on how to overcome this problem.

Thanks & Regards
WTH

Susan B
13-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Go to the forum's Spyware FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41858&message=220430&q=faq+%238b#220430) and follow the instructions for downloading and using Adaware and Spybot, etc.

somebody
13-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi there WTH61, and welcome to PressF1.

As SusanB has already said, the problem is most likely some spyware which is automatically downloading the problem file. I would suggest several steps:

1. Install Adaware and Spybot, and clense your system of any spyware etc.
2. Install a Firewall (eg. Norton Personal Firewall - or Norton Internet Security). There are free firewalls which many people recommend - such as Sygate, Zonealarm (both free for home use). Installing one of those will prevent nasty programs from accessing the internet, and hereby downloading dodgy files.

Good luck.

WTH61
14-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

I do have Norton Family Internet firewall running and have used Spybot, but it still seems to persist. I'm starting to think reformatting the c drive and start from scratch again.

Regards
WTH

Pheonix
14-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Try an online scan (http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp)

WTH61
16-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I have seemed to fix the tracker problem, but the system is still unstable.

Regards
WTH