PDA

View Full Version : SPAM

phil.b
13-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I have just got off the phone to Xtra, trying to change my email address after being swamped with spam. Did you know, they have to change your username to be able to change the email address. Not only that, they put in a request to do so that takes 2 to 3 working days during which time you have no email access at all, everything is bounced. I presume you get cut off completely when the username changes.
Why can't they just change the ******* email address. I would have thought that was easier.

I Feel Better Now

Phil

whiskeytangofoxtrot
13-06-2004, 06:29 PM
1. Did you use their automatic spam filter?

2. Spam isn't their fault, no point taking it out on them, they didn't go putting your address into mailing lists, web-sites etc.

3. The fact that changing your e-mail address involves changing your username is standard practice. You'd be unhappy if you signed up for an account, and had a different username and password to dial in, a different username and password for e-mail, and a different e-mail address altogether. Standard practice is to group all the services under one username.

I'm surprised at the duration though, we do these kind of changes over the phone all the time, with a delay of 3 hours max for the new details to go into effect. I guess thats what you have to put up with when you go with Xtra though.

phil.b
13-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I realise it's not their fault. But I can't see the big deal in changing the email address. It should be do-able online as you're not adding a new user account.

I already have a different username & password to the email account logon

Phil

csinclair83
13-06-2004, 07:48 PM
you must have 1 address for that username you signed up with so yeah.....

but you should be able to add another email address
like for me

my isp one is xxxxx@man.quik.co.nz but they permit 4 other email addresses for that account so i have another one of xxxxxxx@man.quik.co.nz

so you could have xxxxxx@xtra.co.nz as you already have..
and if you use Outlook then delete that email one and ask if you can set up another email address and use the new one in Outlook and if you want to check your orginal email address then go use their web based thing...

whiskeytangofoxtrot
13-06-2004, 08:14 PM
> I already have a different username & password to the
> email account logon

So are you changing a seconday mailbox that is not the default dial-up username/password/mailbox combination.

Seems peculiar that you can't do that yourself online.

Most ISP's where username = e-mail address = main account, it would not really be practical to allow this to be changed online purely as most people are not capable of understanding what it is they are changing.

It is a lot easier for them to call up and talk this through with someone who can also help them make the required changes on their PC.

Maybe you should try calling the helpdesk again, maybe you got someone that didn't quite understand what it was you were wanting to do.

antmannz
14-06-2004, 02:20 PM
It takes so long because it has to be processed not only by Xtra, but also by Telecom's Billing Dept.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-06-2004, 04:35 PM
> It takes so long because it has to be processed not
> only by Xtra, but also by Telecom's Billing Dept.

Umm... why?

Billing would be based on account number, not username.

hay u
15-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Go with clear.net idea you never see any spam even when you get a dose each day, thought my inbox would get choked not so fast I just found out it gets auto-deleted after a month, that is real good service Clear, sorry I did not see your post before I posted my last one.

hay u
15-06-2004, 02:33 PM
sorry to high jack your posting, hope you don't get upset.

lets say you when on Internet and found someone selling software with lots of Emil addresses on it,
lets say you found your own e-mail address in there.

Can you take the sellers of the software to the cleaners, for invasion of your e-mail address?

hay u
15-06-2004, 02:34 PM
> sorry to high jack your posting, hope you don't get
> upset.
>
> lets say you when on Internet and found someone
> selling software with lots of Emil addresses on it,
> lets say you found your own e-mail address in there.
>
>
> Can you take the sellers of the software to the
> cleaners, for invasion of your e-mail address?