PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla in Linux displays garbage...

Growly
12-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi there,

Some websites in Mozilla have been showing up as rubbish and garbaled random characters, normally in the form of squares with squares and what looks to be hexadecimal characters in those squares.

The same sites work fine in Konqueror.

Is there a fix? Is this common?

Jen C
12-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Growly,

Can you give a URL for some of the sites which display incorrectly in Mozilla?

What are your Character Coding settings? Are they set to Western (ISO-8859-1) and under Autodetect it is set to off?

kiki
12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
5 threads in one day Growly, you sure are having some problems :P

Growly
12-06-2004, 09:36 PM
tell me about it kiki, im not a happy chappy.

I blame Hyena corporation for all of it.

Here you are Jen:

this was today, a few from last night I dont remember: http://www.eyo.com.au/

JohnD
12-06-2004, 09:44 PM
That site loads fine in Mozilla 1.6 running on RH9.

Jen C
12-06-2004, 09:48 PM
I just took a look at that site using the build Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040510, and it looks fine for me. Did the same with Firefox and it too showed no strange characters.

I looked at the Gigabyte mobo's section as I guessed this is what page you have been viewing :p

Growly
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
You in Linux or Windows?

Jen C
12-06-2004, 10:02 PM
> You in Linux or Windows?

:O me?

What do you think :p

Hint, if you look at my Mozilla build details, you will see it is for Linux

Growly
12-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes, Yes you are. Silly me.

OK, The encoding is correct....

I'm running Fedora Core 1

Susan B
12-06-2004, 10:04 PM
> You in Linux or Windows?

Dumb question of the week, that would have to be. :D

Growly
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah i saw that Jen C (granted, way too late, but...), but you bet me with your reply .

Jen C
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
If I remember correctly, Fedora Core 1 came with Mozilla 1.4? (or was it 1.5). Why not download the lastest version of Mozilla, or if you are feeling adventurous, download the 1.7 RC 3 release and see if this makes a difference.

Growly
12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Hmmmm... will do.

Growly
12-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Right, here's what I did...

I installed 1.7 rc3, and after cursing the lack of what I could see as an icon, or anything to replace the original icon, and the fact that I could only open it by running the mozilla-bin script, I found that it now completely screwed up displaying fonts in hotmail.

Concerened that this was a bug of the version currently in testing, I downloaded and installed 1.6 .
Now, in 1.6, I get the same hotmail problems, but the fonts are 20 times bigger. In other sites, the fonts are 20x smaller. Some things are better, but, for example, the font of the form I am typing in a good 24pt, while the part of the page that says "welcome Growly" is about size 8 pt.

I'm so confused. What should I do? Downgrade? Remove from config files so as to start fresh?

Jester
13-06-2004, 12:14 AM
>I'm so confused. What should I do? Downgrade? Remove from config files so as to start fresh?

Use Windows. It works. ;)

Growly
13-06-2004, 10:16 AM
But my motherboard doesn't....

Murray P
13-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040413 Debian/1.6-5 Site works fine for me Growly. How are you updating your browser, downloading and installing? Try Aptget or whatever ver of apt you have on Fedora.

No 7NNXP mobo listed on that site BTW.

Jen C
13-06-2004, 05:46 PM
>I'm so confused. What should I do? Downgrade? Remove from config files so as to start fresh?

Growly>
This is a strange one. How about you rename your ~/.mozilla file and let a new one get generated and see if this makes a difference. It is a hidden file (hence the . in front of the name), so in your home directory go View > Show hidden files first.

Another place to look is under is in Mozilla under File > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts. These are my settings:

Fonts for: Western
Proportional: Serif Size (pixels): 16
Serif: serif
Sans-serif: sans-serif
Cursive: serif
Fantasy: serif
Monospace: monospace Size (pixels): 12

Minimum fonts size: none
Selected "Allow documents to use other fonts"
Display resolutions: system resolution

This may or may not help ...

Growly
13-06-2004, 06:02 PM
right, I dont know the fedora equiv murray p, so im downloading it fresh and installing it separately each time. Infact this is aggrevating, cause I have to click a shell script to run it.

My setting are the same, except that i have size 10... , and that my fonts are all like "microsoft-sans-serif-iso-######" (where the ##### was the current encoding).

Because i installed separately, do you think the /.mozilla files would be the same?

Jen C
13-06-2004, 06:39 PM
>Because i installed separately, do you think the /.mozilla files would be the same?

By default, your .mozilla file will be in your home directory regardless of which version or how many versions of Mozilla you are running under your account. So, try renaming .mozilla and then open up Mozilla again to generate a new file.

If you go ALT-F2 and enter in mozilla, what version is loading? To launch your new version you just need to run the mozilla shell script from its directory (did you install it in the default /usr/local/moziila directory)? You can either make a new Kmenu entry and put in /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla (if that is where you installed it) under command. To edit the Kmenu just right click on the K and select Edit Menu - follow your nose from there.

Growly
13-06-2004, 06:55 PM
The default version is 1.4.1. That loads from the Run Command, AMSN, and is in the menu on the taskbar (what does linux call it)

Growly
13-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Right, I just renamed the folder, reinstalled 1.6, went back to mozilla, it came up as 1.4.1 (it told me that it deleted all previous versions)... and the same problem. I would show you a screenshot, but it aint the same as windows :S

Murray P
13-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Look for Ksnapshot amongst the menus for a screenshot.

Unfortunately your problems are beyond this linux noob, keeping an eye on it out of interest.

Cheers Murray P

Jen C
13-06-2004, 07:44 PM
So just where did you install the newer Mozilla? Try opening it from that directory.

>I would show you a screenshot, but it aint the same as windows :S

ALT-F2 ksnapshot :)

Running out of ideas here .... although if you enter into the address bar about:config and then filter for font you will see what all the curent configuration settings are ... in great detail.

Something has gone wacky for sure.

Jen C
13-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Back! My one last idea :D

Seeing as you currently have two Mozilla versions installed and the 1.4 still loads when you launch it off the taskbar or by Run > Command, you could use the Add/Remove Applications program and uninstall Mozilla from within that. It should be listed under Graphical Internet. This wil remove 1.4. But then, go back and reinstall it via Add/Remove again. This will ensure a fresh installation of Mozilla (1.4) is installed at least. You will still have the 1.6 available but it will need to be launched via its shell script.

Updating programs with RPM's is a good way of keeping track of the installations. There are normally third-party pre-packaged Fedora specific RPM's available for Mozilla shortly after each new release. Using these to upgrade with prevents having two versions of the same browser.

R2x1
13-06-2004, 08:08 PM
> Use Windows. It works. ;)
>

Yeah, right (BTW, there's a cheque in the mail too)

;) :D
R2

Growly
13-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much guys, and thanks heaps Jen C...

here's that screen shot (http://angryadmins.no-ip.com/images/screenshots/hotmail-go-wide.png) (It's being hosted on IIS, thats right, a windows system. Don't blame me if it crashes.)

Baldy
13-06-2004, 11:54 PM
> Thanks so much guys, and thanks heaps Jen C...
>
> here's that screen shot (http://angryadmins.no-ip.com/images/screenshots/h
> tmail-go-wide.png) (It's
> being hosted on IIS, thats right, a windows
> system. Don't blame me if it crashes.)

No wonder your frustrated. That is one ugly screenshot

kiki
14-06-2004, 12:40 AM
> No wonder your frustrated. That is one ugly screenshot

:^O for sure. Don't worry Growly, your luck will change soon.

What happens if you use Opera for linux?

Growly
14-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm too scared to get it....

Jen C
14-06-2004, 06:41 PM
> I'm too scared to get it....

If Konqueror fonts works fine in the browser, then so should Mozilla's. Did you try my suggestion and uninstall Mozilla 1.4 and then reinstall it?

Opera is dead easy to install on Fedora if you are interested. Download the QT Shared - RedHat 9/Mandrake 9.2/SuSE 8.2 RPM available. Save it into your /home directory, then open up your /home and go Tools > Open Terminal. Change to root, and then enter in:

rpm -Uvh opera*.rpm [enter]

You will then find an Opera entry on the KMenu under Internet (although I have heard of it ending up under System Settings before?!)

Chilling_Silence
14-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Jen>
You're suggesting Growly download Opera and not Firefox???

What is the world coming to..... :p

Jen C
14-06-2004, 07:41 PM
> Jen>
> You're suggesting Growly download Opera and not
> Firefox???
> What is the world coming to..... :p

lol - no I wasn't :p

Kiki suggested Opera and Growly seemed worried about installing it, I was only trying to tell him it is very easy to install.

Firefox is still my preference for browsers :D

Growly>
Let us know how you get on :)

dudess_on_a_mish
14-06-2004, 09:00 PM
> You will then find an Opera entry on the KMenu under Internet (although I have heard of it ending up under System Settings before?!)

<mutter>

Stupid damn thing....

</mutter>

> Save it into your /home directory, then open up your /home

What?? Run that by me again....? :O

Oh.... :8} :p

> Jen>
> You're suggesting Growly download Opera and not Firefox???

Do it Growly, download Opera!! ;-) :D

Growly
14-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm....

Give me a while - I have internal exams coming....

Stupid motherboard.
Stupid power supply.
Stupid debian.
Stupid mozilla. (Psst Jen C, i did reinstall it, no diff)
Stupid other power supply.
Stupid ancient network cards.
Stupid 7NNXP leaving me...

Waaaa!! WAAAAAA!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :'(

Jen C
14-06-2004, 10:48 PM
>Stupid debian
Ah .... aren't you running Fedora?!

>Stupid mozilla. (Psst Jen C, i did reinstall it, no diff)
Oh dear.
Just for fun, as you can't make it any worse, how about setting the fonts to the ones I gave earlier instead of the current ones?

>Waaaa!! WAAAAAA!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :'(
You want your mommy? :p

Growly
14-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah, I run debian 1.2 on an old bogan machine :D

And I'll do that Jen :D (The fonts that is)

And yes, i want my mummy.

Jen C
14-06-2004, 11:07 PM
> Oh yeah, I run debian 1.2 on an old bogan machine

Ah ha! Well don't go downloading that RPM for Opera I suggested as that won't mix well with your Debian :D. Grab the debian packaged file (may be best to get the QT static one in that case) and install it how Debian likes things done:
dpkg -i opera-static_7.51-20040602.1-qt_en_i386.deb

Or better yet, grab Firefox. With 0.8 you simply extract the file and then go into the firefox directory and launch the executable -easy as :). Firefox 0.9 which is supposed to be released any day now, comes with a auto-installer instead, like the Mozilla 1.7 RC3 did.

Growly
14-06-2004, 11:21 PM
No lol! Sorry, i meant I run debian separately on a different bogan machine, the problems is with fedora!

Rest assured Jen, your help has been invaluable!