PDA

View Full Version : Norton Personal Fire wall blocking Outlook email

PT007
12-06-2004, 04:58 PM
After doing a live update on the 4 June I experienced problems with sending and receiving e-mail. The Xtra help desk said it as a problem with Norton Antivirus and I should disable it. The problem actually seems to be with Norton's firewall. If I disable it I can send and receive e-mail. If I don't sent e-mails get placed in the outbox. When trying to receive e-mail, I get an error message that the connection to the server was interrupted.

I am using Outlook 2003 (part of Office XP) and Windows XP Home.

There is no problem surfing the net!

Mzee
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
This problem is not confined to Norton.
If you have an antivirus prog scanning your email & a Fire Wall doing the same thing you will find that your mail could be blocked. In my case I let the Fire wall deal with the Mail, and disable the Email protection in the Antivirus.
The Auto scan in the anti virus checks anyway.
I have had this with Sygate & Zone Alarm fire walls, with Norton 2003 Antivirus.

PT007
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks Mzee
Problem solved.

What puzelled me was I had not changed any settings - that is I had email scanning on and the fire wall before the live update. Things only ground to a halt after the live update.

Mzee
14-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Was the update for Windows or for Norton?
Are both the Firewall & Antivirus by Norton?
There is an excellent Anti Virus free from orcon.net.nz, works well, updates without problems and doesn't seem to have any problems.

tweak\'e
14-06-2004, 09:23 PM
>There is an excellent Anti Virus free from orcon.net.nz, works well

really ???

where can i download it ?

Susan B
14-06-2004, 10:11 PM
> >There is an excellent Anti Virus free from orcon.net.nz, works well

> really ???
>
> where can i download it ?

Here (http://www.orcon.net.nz/jump.html/%A4t.path:none;PAGESECT-downloads/TO/http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php). ;-)

PT007
14-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I am running Norton Systemworks 2003, version 6.01 Build 57 and Norton Personal Firewall 2002. The live update was from the norton site. Having just renewed by firewall subscription I was not too happy when the norton knowledge base indicated NPFW 2002 was not supported and wanted me to upgrade, with apparently no credit for the recently purchased subscription.