PDA

View Full Version : Help captureing VCR video to PC problem

BootyLicious
12-06-2004, 11:14 AM
nk youAnyone know why when i try to capture VCR tapes off my video player to my PC i always get an ugly line across the bottom of the video. It happens all the time, i am using a Winfast Tv2000XP tv card and have tryed a dse.co.nz tv card to and the same thing happens. how do i fix the ugly line when playing and capturing VCR tapes on my PC?

Help please. will buy a new capture card if it fixes the problem.

Thank you.

Baldy
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
I am wondering if the problem is your VCR player? Have you tried using another VCR

BootyLicious
12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Not the VCR player, i have hanged the VCR player.

Baldy
12-06-2004, 12:16 PM
What software prog are you using? If its not the VCR or the Card, it may be possible to use a prog that will clean it up. In the old days, there was a degredation (similar to what you are experiencing) when you dubbed from VCR to VCR. You could eliminate this and clean up the dub by using a video enhancer.
Maybe a search on Downloads.com will uncover one

Baldy
12-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Try here:

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=video&tg=dl-20&search.x=14&search.y=12

BootyLicious
12-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help Baldy,but i have gone down that road to. i am just having no luck. My digital video camera works and i can get great video to PC with that but i can't work out whats going on with VCR tapes :-(

metla
12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Tried it with a brand new vcr tape?

And how far from the bottom of the screen is it,you may be able to crop it out.

BootyLicious
12-06-2004, 01:29 PM
i have been reading this, look like the video i get on my PC from VCR.

Metla what can i use to cut it off the bottom

http://www.digitalfaq.com/understandsource.htm

metla
12-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Off the top of my head eithir/maybe both tmpgenc and virtual dub have the ability to criop the file,as should any retail video suite thats worth using.

It all depends on what format the avi file is in,and what finished format you wish to have the end file in,Tmpgenc encodes into mpeg so don't use it if your after a different format,VD lets you pick the format to encoded in based on the codecs resident on your machine.

Both also have all sorts of filters/plug-ins for fine tuning of the encoding.

I have come across the same issue as you,and it was the tape i was trying to capture from.Various cropping,filtering and editing tidied it up but you lose quality with every encode that is performed on the file.

In my case after spending upwards of 60 hours on the project the customer (me dad) declared the finished project as crap,and done a vhs-to-vhs copy instead....

BootyLicious
12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks Metla i just made a small video and cropped it with ulead video studio 7and the ugly line is gone :-) i think cropping is the way to go thanks

PRESSF1 ROCKS thanks to all