PDA

View Full Version : DRM,it is here.

metla
12-06-2004, 10:49 AM
This was posted on a music forum i run,Seems they have relesed audio albums that when played install DRM lisences on your pc,the Official line is that it will let you then make 3 copies of the cd.
The reality is that no one yet is able to do anything at all,tracks ripped to the hd are garbled,and 1-to-1 copies of the cd are unlikely.

anyhow

Now that it was released I ran out to buy it. On the cover it says that the CD is made to play in audio devices, and some PCs that are configured properly. Basically it tries to install Digital Rights management licenses onto your machine so that you can play the CD.

I decided I didn't like that option, so here's what I did.

When you insert the CD and you have autoplay enabled, it will bring up a licensing agreement, don't accept it, just click on the X in the upper right corner of the window to close. I then proceded to try to RIP the CD so I could make a backup copy of this for my archives. It appeared to actually rip, but each song was taking quite long to do so. I played one of the ripped tracks and noticed that it was garbled to hell, so I tried playing a track off of the CD, garbled as well. Let me note that all of this has occured through the Beta copy of Windows Media Player 10 that I installed last week.

and now back to me...

Others are reporting problems without Media Player 10,its the **** the cd installs that creates the mess.So far it has stopped paying customers from using the cd as they wish,But its the height of stupidity to think that penalising Paying customers will improve record sales or curb piracy,I have no clue as to how these companies think that mesing with those that suport themm will improve the situation,Logic dictates that they should be looking after those they take revenue from.

The large scale pirates who press out thousands of copies for resale will just stream it via a cd player onto the comp,Make 1 copy and use it to make millions more,they wont suffer for a second.

Same goes to those who wish to distribute the songs online,it would take next to nothing to get them on the harddrive and onto the net,The only people who will suffer from this will be those who payed good money for a product.

And its only going to get worse,I certainly won't be buying the album and it was on my to buy list.

Chilling_Silence
12-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Can I ask what Album it is that is so great that nobody can copy it? This I want to witness for myself!

Megaman
12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
pfffft...

what about one of those "Disc backups" that are in dairies? I don't think they allow software to be installed on them...

metla
12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Chill,i didnt say nobody could copy it,i said the copy protection was causing trouble for consumers,we both know that if someone hasen't already done it then someone will in the near future,The point is that record companies are penalising paying customers and loading software onto peoples computers that restrict there use.

The album is Velvet Revolver's Contraband,the group is made up of the original Guns n Roses members with Scott weiland from Stone temple pilots on vocals.

Being something of a "supergroup" (if your familier with the term) it is expected to have strong sales.

metla
12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
> pfffft...
>
> what about one of those "Disc backups" that are in
> dairies? I don't think they allow software to be
> installed on them...

Aye?

Megaman
12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
> > pfffft...
> >
> > what about one of those "Disc backups" that are in
> > dairies? I don't think they allow software to be
> > installed on them...
>
>
>
>
> Aye?

The ones that cost $5 (!) and will copy the disk at 48x for you...

Megaman
12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
hmmmm... I might give one of those the Alcohol 120% treatment ]:)

metla
12-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Are you saying that they will do a 1-to-1 copy of a cd for you in a dairy at a cost of 5 bucks?

I presume this is a stand alone recording device?

metla
12-06-2004, 12:57 PM
I already talked a guy who bought it through Clonecd, alchol120, cdex,Eazy cd-extractor,.....Granted he wasn't a very knowledgable user but he had no luck.

Lohsing
12-06-2004, 01:57 PM
> I already talked a guy who bought it through Clonecd,
> alchol120, cdex,Eazy cd-extractor,.....Granted he
> wasn't a very knowledgable user but he had no luck.

I imagine there will be people playing the CD through an optical out and then recording the stream.

OTOH, I have a stand alone recorder which will record each wav file digitally and allow me to rip the resulting copied disc to mp3...

I'd almost go buy the disc just to try to copy it...

Lo.

Lohsing
12-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Well the ripped disc is all over the internet now, so I doubt that the copy protection is that hard to crack.

Did a simple search of it here (http://www.newzbin.com/search/query/p/?q=Velvet+Revolver&Category=-1&searchFP=p).

Lo.

kiki
12-06-2004, 02:00 PM
I bet it can't beat Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on paranoid mode. I've copied a number of cds with high grade "protection" like this. 100% copy with no errors.

For one if they were stupid enough to install WMP10! then they deserve to never copy a cd again. The inbuilt DRM features of that alone are worse than that on any cd. It probably corrupts the ASPI layer in some way. Only a version or two to go before it stops playing MP3 altogether and forces you to convert them to WMA, then deletes the original MP3.

What's needed is a complete disable of autoplay, and then use EAC on paranoid mode. Better yet Linux should have something that should do it nicely.

Megaman
12-06-2004, 02:09 PM
> Are you saying that they will do a 1-to-1 copy of a
> cd for you in a dairy at a cost of 5 bucks?
>
> I presume this is a stand alone recording device?

Yes and yes.

>For one if they were stupid enough to install WMP10! ...

Read the first post.

>Others are reporting problems without WMP10...

See?

Baldy
12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
> This was posted on a music forum i run,Seems they
> have relesed audio albums that when played install
> DRM lisences on your pc,the Official line is that it
> will let you then make 3 copies of the cd.

Maybe I had an early night, and am thinking more clearly than you, but I happen to think that 3 copies is more than "The Average JoBlow" will ever want to backup. How many times can you damage a CD? Maybe you should try to be more careful in the way you handle them??????? I have an extensive LP and CD collection [in the region of 500] and EVERY copy is in pristine condition. Perhaps you should do a search on Google to find out the ABC's of looking after stuff that you paid good money for

> I decided I didn't like that option, so here's what I
> did.
>
> When you insert the CD and you have autoplay enabled,
> it will bring up a licensing agreement, don't accept
> it, just click on the X in the upper right corner of
> the window to close. I then proceded to try to RIP
> the CD so I could make a backup copy of this for my
> archives. It appeared to actually rip, but each song
> was taking quite long to do so.

Maybe that's your problem. If you had agreed, your copy(s) would probably have been perfect.

metla
12-06-2004, 02:35 PM
So people should install software that limits the use of there computer in order to play a cd of music they paid for?

and you claim to think more clearly?,Your views while different are hardly a product of clearer thinking.

>Perhaps you should do a search on Google to find out the ABC's of looking after stuff that you paid good money for

Suck it in old chap,i would rather give a knee jerk reaction to utter claptrap like this but i shall refrain.....

dipstick01
12-06-2004, 03:59 PM
I have many copies of my CD's. I install them to my hard drive and then burn them to various disc's for my own personal listening pleasure. As far as I am concerned I paid for the right to use the music myself as many times as I required not just 3. Are they discounting the price of the CD as it is a limited usage unit? I do not want to have to insert a disc for the 3 to 4 tracks I often listen to on my DVD/CD player and then have to change it, I want to make my own selections and listen to the music I want and paid for. I for one will be looking very carefully for any DRM CD's and voting with my wallet. The record companies in their haste to make more money has just lost any they may have been going to get from me.