PDA

View Full Version : HP Online lessons: Introduction to Linux - come on in!

Susan B
11-06-2004, 11:52 AM
The free HP Online Introduction to Linux lessons have started and it is looking quite good so far.

For those who are curious about Linux or are mystified by the interest shown on this forum the first lesson offers a very good explanation of what Linux is and how it came about.

You don't have to have any desire to have a go yourself just to have a look but if you are interested then check out this page (http://www.hplearningcenter.com/course/course.jsp?courseId=2786) for more information and to sign up. There is no obligation to complete the course if you find it gets too "heavy" for you later but you never know, it might just be what you need to get going. ;-)

It must be a very popular course because I see that they have closed access to further applicants and have another course starting next week.

Chilling_Silence
11-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Looks good, Im enrolled for the second course just to see what its like :-)

Just wondering if this has crossed anybody elses mind:
http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Seem_Odd.png

Notice the two circles Ive drawn in... Ironic huh?!

Jester
11-06-2004, 01:44 PM
I've enrolled, starts 17th June :D

willie_M
11-06-2004, 01:50 PM
I had the same thought in my mind Chill.... :D

But I don't get it?

Is it online or what?

Jester
11-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, it's online. They email you the content I guess and you either carry out the activities or are referred to a link with material on it.

J
:D

Susan B
11-06-2004, 01:58 PM
> Yes, it's online. They email you the content I guess and you either carry out the activities or are referred to a link with material on it.

They email you notifications that the course has started and when the lessons are posted but you go to their site to read the lessons. I save them to my hard drive for future reference as well and often print out a few bits for a hard copy reference.

There is a little quizz at the end of each lesson for you to test how much you have learnt but it isn't compulsory.

There is also a message board, a bit like PF1, where you can ask the tutor questions or answer other people's questions, etc.

Chill: Very ironic, isn't it? :D

Murray P
11-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I enrolled for the first course but can't logon, was realy looking forward to it. Have requested a new password which is a bit slow in arriving, they say if it doesn't arrive in two hours my ISP may have blocked it ?? strange.

Cheers Murray P