PDA

View Full Version : Hey techies? Can ya solve this one?

willie_M
11-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Looks like I don't have to worry about networking problems anymore.....

To put it plain, the cat pissed inside the computer.

Yes, inside - the lid was off. From what I can tell, straight onto the HSF.

I'm expecting a few LOL's about.... now. :D :^O

OK, so the computer was not turned on at the time, but was on at the wall. Nothing would of shorted would it. I know that theres a led that is on when the power is on. The CMOS indicator I believe.

Its my brothers computer. Compaq Deskpro (desktop case). (The cat knows a **** computer when he sees it.)

So anyway, I was guessing waters not so good. The first thing my mum did was unplug it from the wall, and soak up the pee with tissues.

So now, how staticised is this computer? I spose it was grounded when the cat was in it but tissues have static right?

So I was thinking either meths or isopropyl to clean this ***** out.

The other thing is, if cleaning doesnt work, is this covered by insurance? ?:|

Cheers
willie

Pheonix
11-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Urine is acidic as hell. Even though the fluid may dry out, with the moisture in the air, it will corrode components off the board over time. It also contains salts, which make it conductive.
The power that is applied while the computer is off, is used to run the part of the board that will detect you pushing the start button and start the main power supply up.

To clean it, use a spray bottle of plain water. Really rinse it down well. Pat down with something like a flannel, that is not synthetic. Then force dry with either a fan heater or hair dryer. Do not get it too close, it is not the heat you need so much as the flow of air. Every now and again, give it a shake to dislodge any drips under components. Then leave in a warm dry environment for a day.

When using the spray bottle or wiping down, just use one hand to hold the metal frame to minimize any static buildup.

I have used this successfully on TV's, but haven't used it on a computer before.

parry
11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
So a cat peed in your TV Phoenix or was it a family member. :D

Classic, I suppose you can be grateful Willie it wasn't a number 2! It would certainly make an interesting insurance claim if worse came to worse.

godfather
11-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Cats pee is very corrosive, as is mouse pee etc.

Even cleaning it will be a short term solution, as its likely to get in under components and eat away at the copper tracks. Reliability will be piss awful long term, to use a phrase.

If you have cover under your insurance for damage by pets (a common clause) then don't fix it, claim instead.

Jester
11-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Insurance:

It depends who you are insured with, some policies don't cover it. General exclusions relate to resultant damage due to:

Animals that you own or are in your care, custody or control. Some insurers will cover this, up to a certain $$ value, others don't even mention it.

Insects or vermin - other than opossums. This is a fairly common clause, most insurers have it in their policies. We once dealt with a claim involving a RAT. We had to prove that the rat was a pet for the insurance to cover it - the insurer asked the girl who handled the claim to get a picture of her holding it on her lap as proof lol.

If there is cover (ie no exclusion), then you would need to see whether the policy is one of replacement or indemnity (market value). Some insurers have an age limit (ie 5 years) for replacement.

Let us know who your insurer is if you want more advice, alternatively, ring them anyway and lodge a claim - you have nothing to lose.

J
:D

willie_M
11-06-2004, 01:25 PM
The insurance company is NZI i believe...

Jester
11-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Willie

I am not in the office at the moment, however, from memory:

AFAIK the "damage by pets" clause is not there, but the vermin one is - so that wouldn't matter to you.

Whether it's insured for replacement or indemnity will depend on whether you have Supersurance (replacement up to 5 years old for computers I think, and if part of a home office, cover is $10,000) or Householders Contents cover (I am sure that PCs are indemnity - and if part of a home office, cover is $1,000).

I can check these out for you later in the day when back in the office, or just ring 0800 800 800 and speak to them.

J

willie_M
11-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the Info. My mums going to call them when she gets home...

Jester
11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Cool.

I've checked, and FYI

NZI Supersurance covers PCs for replacement up to 5 years old, and indemnity for over 5 years old.

Pets causing damage isn't an issue.

So, what's the PC worth - is it over 5 years old?

They will probably refer you to Uniway Computers, who take a look at it and see if it can be repaired, and then will carry out (in my experience) a fair and reasonable assessment of the PCs value, taking into consideration such things as what's around today, what it would cost to replace now with specs similar to what was in vogue when it was new, and the current market ability to provide a similar specced PC.

Next thing to do would be to electrify the case so the cat goes nowhere near it again!

J

Growly
12-06-2004, 09:38 AM
What I'd do:

Clean the bath, fill it with lots of water, dunk the motherboard in ther. Keep electrical things away, leave it in there for a few mins but not too long....

Afterwards, take it out, leave it on some sort of towel (clean and ol, that aint synthetic), make sure it's dry, then turn it on.

If that works against you, you can then have fun blowing the motherboard up in different ways.

Mzee
14-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Cats just love climbing into a box. The cat was marking its territory to prevent other cats from using it.
My brother had a printer which got pissed on a couple of years ago, so he took it outside, hosed it down, blew it out with compressed air and left it in the sun for a few hours. The printer has worked ever since.

We had a cat who loved to piss down the car vents :-(
Talk about air conditioning :-)

willie_M
14-06-2004, 11:13 PM
>Next thing to do would be to electrify the case so the cat goes nowhere near it again!

Well, funny thing.

Yesterday the cat got up onto the bench and pissed right onto/into a power plug! I'm not sure whether he got a shock or not but I heard something crackling/shorting, and the cat didnt look too happy. As soon as I grabbed him he stopped, and I didnt get a shock. But if he did, hopefully he'll stop being "teritorial" around the house :^O!

Talk about shock therapy... "That'll learn ya!!!"

:^O

Growly
14-06-2004, 11:18 PM
This brings me onto another completely unrelated and interesting point... I would post serparately, but not many people love me anymore around here, so I'll keep a low profile...

What is the difference between "That'll learn ya!" and"That'll teach ya!". My friend (yes, I have some) was discussing it with me, I'd never heard of the former untill he mentioned it, and no one else has said it but you willie... interesting...

zqwerty
15-06-2004, 10:22 AM
I think it is from American movies of the forties, my Dad used to use it as well, both versions.

It was a catch phrase from something like the "Three Stooges" or such like, or maybe Yogi Bear.