PDA

View Full Version : Help - Receiving returned mail Ive never sent

John W
11-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Im receiving return email from the Postmaster, from emails Ive never sent to people Ive known but are NOT in my address book.

These are from work associates for a company I ceased working for 5yrs ago. I recognise some of the names, which they may have retained my home email in their address book, but that unlikely.

Further more, these staff have email addresses have a company that is related to the business I worked for, not the original.

OK OK, I used to work for Meridian energy, the emails come from Transpower

Im using AVG7, updated & scanned daily, no viruses ever found.

Thanks in anticipation

John in Mosgiel.

godfather
11-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Someone who has your email address in their address book, plus the other addresses is infected with a virus.

It harvests these addresses and uses one (in this case yours) as the false "from" address and sends to all the others.

Therefore when the emails bounce, they bounce back to the false "from" address, in this case you.

There is nothing you can do about it. If your email address is widely circulated it could be anyone who has the address in their system.

parry
11-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi, you may want to think about installing Mailwasher [url=http://www.mailwasher.net/] so that you can delete the offending messages at the server so your not downloading to your HD.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Oh God...

Search!

There have been a ridiculous number of these threads already.

John W
11-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks,

Just received another pile, this time from @team.telstra.com (which is not a vaiid address) and again I recognise some of the names of past workplace employees, I cant see why they would add my home / private email in their address book, when im sure i never sent them an email from that address.

Other than being a pain in the BSide, why go to the trouble of creating this nonsence with a fake email address like @team.telstra.com

Thanks for the replies.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-06-2004, 01:13 PM
> Other than being a pain in the BSide, why go to the
> trouble of creating this nonsence with a fake email
> address like @team.telstra.com

It's a valid address.