PDA

View Full Version : Software to capture video frames

somebody
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a program which will capture every nth frame out of a video clip, and make them JPEG or BMP files.

Eg. from a 1minute video clip in a video file format, and capture 1 frame every second, and export it to a BMP file.

Does anyone know of such software (Freeware) which will do this? I know the software exists, I just don't know what it's called, or what to search under.

drcspy
11-06-2004, 07:25 AM
um.........you may be able to do this with windows movie maker it's a default part of the xp system...........

johnboy
11-06-2004, 08:39 AM
there is a few Here (http://www.imagespro.com/programs/capture/0-3.html) hth

Baldy
11-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Agree....... I have done something similar with Windows Movie Maker

somebody
11-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone - i'll give it a go.

somebody
11-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I've just had a look at Windows Movie Maker, but that only allows me to capture individual frames. I want to take a 30sec or so video clip, and capture 1 frame every 1/2 second, and turn them into 60 individual JPEG files.

Win Movie Maker will force me to do each one manually, so is there a program which will do it automatically (so I don't have to sit here scrolling forward, clicking, scrolling forward again, clicking etc.)?

drcspy
11-06-2004, 10:06 AM
well I'm not sure about that but if you simply want to automate ANY task you can use a program called 'ghostmouse' it'll record whatever segment of mouse clicks you want and then it's very easy to re-run the 'recording' so that all the stuff you did will happen by itself.........so......you could do the first movie manually and 'record' it with ghosemouse then next time you wanted to do a movie just 'replay' the recorded process and sit back and let it happen......

somebody
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks drcspy. Since i'm only doing 1 or maybe 2 video clips, it probably won't be worth my while recording it manually.

I have been able to find a program to do it - SnatchIT (http://theedgeofforever.com/), but it's trialware. Does anyone know of a freeware program which does something similar?

Growly
13-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Is that Snaggit?

Oh, if you wanna take video of ingame action, use a thing called Fraps.

somebody
13-06-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm actually wanting to "make" a flip-book style thing, and cheating by using a series of photos. I figured that since I do not have a digicam which can take approx 50 simultaneous shots at a fast frame rate, that if I took a video using a DV camera, imported to a PC, and captured individual frames out of it.

SnatchIT works, but it costs $$$. It has a "batch capture" facility which lets me set that I want to capture x number of frames, at x time intervals, which is exactly what I need. However the demo version puts a watermark on the captured frames, which is annoying. Does anyone know of a Freeware or open-source program which will do the same thing?