PDA

View Full Version : An annoying Word problem:

Billy T
10-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Team

I have a nagging irritation with Word 2000 that I need help with.

It insists on auto-indenting paragraphs then autonumbering successive paragraphs every time I start a numbered paragraph sequence. I can manually remove the indentation setting and everything is Ok until I do a carriage return, at which point it indents again and produces a new paragraph number.

I tried renaming normal.dot but that didn't make any difference, and I can't find any setting that will change this behaviour. The silly thing is that my other computers (using the same version of Word) do not do this.:(

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

karent
10-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi. At a guess it is possibly something to do with auto-format options. Try deselecting some of the format-as-you-type options. Sorry to be so vague, but I am using Word 2002 and I'm not sure if W2000 is the same. I don't know about you, but I find many of the "auto" options in Word really aggravating. I like to have more control over how I want my documents to look. Automated features can be useful to a point, but I think the developers tend to over-do them. Anyhiw, hope that points you in the right direction.

Jen C
10-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Billy

Karent is on to it. You need to go to Tools > Autocorrect > AutoFormat as you type tab. Deselect the auto-numbering, but I am not quite sure about the auto-indentation, but take a look and see whether there is a option for that.

MS Word's habit of trying to second guess how I like my documents drives me nuts. I always customise the AutoFormat selections to stop the serious offenders (auto-numbers, auto-bullet points). I also change some of the auto-correct spellings as some of the technical terms I use look like some of the common mistyped words, and there is nothing more annoying to find out your terminology has been "corrected" by MS Word.

Billy T
10-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!

Relief at last

May your God(s) bless you, or your Demon(s) leave you in peace.

How I never came across that before I will never know but eternal thanks Karen & Jen.

Mrs T will be particularly grateful as the mumblings and grumblings from downstairs will now die down.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :| :) :D :^O