PDA

View Full Version : NetNOTwork

willie_M
10-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Hey guys... ahving network problems again... whats new...

My brothers PC and mine are networked together and it was fine until I packed up my PC to go to a LAN.

When I came back it didnt want to see everything.

First I thought it was iffy cables... But after changing patch cables, I looked to the 10m cable that had been shut in the door a few times... AHA! I thought... theres the problem. Me and dad opened up the heatshrink and scrupulously searched for breaks in the cable where it had been jammed in the door and where kitten bite marks where evident.

No breaks. Cut of one plug and tested the cable. Worked fine. So we assumed it was the plug, and hooked up a new plug. We also took this opportunity to drop the cable under the house in an effort to stop further or future cable breaks from being jammed in the door (However the cats can get under the house)...

Now, before we started cutting cables, I assumed it was my brothers computer as mine had a fresh, clean install of windows 2000 on it and a new gigabit motherboard plug. So I whipped XP off and installed 2000 but that didnt work. Also now, theres no driver for his integrated megabit LAN plug (trip to compaq driver downloads pending), so I installed an old 8139C 10/100 card and all the drivers went smoothly. But it still didnt work.

Now I can't remember when I installed zonealarm, maybe at the LAN, but this proggie is a ***** for LANs, but after tweaking, it stays out of the way. I have justed tweaked this software but to no avail.

Did I mention we tested the (as) new cable and it is now using a 16port hub for its crossover - as I gave up on the crossover patch cable.

Now, I have tried pinging host names, IP's, giving IP's, both computers are on WORKGROUP. Now WTF do I do!? I've done everything I can think of doing!

Just one thing I just thought of. Can viruses bugger peripherals? Because I believe the10/100 card I am using was in use back when our old network got the obsiu... something something virus, and it wiped out our network. I am just thinking whether that Realtek 8139c chip has been stuffed from that virus.

Anyway, I'll go try using another card, getting drivers and changing the network name/domain/whatever.

But if anyone can end my suffering, please help....

thanks
willie

willie_M
10-06-2004, 02:28 AM
> Hey guys... ahving network problems again... whats new...
Spelling problems too, apparently...

Btw.. I noticed also that my virtual network to my virtual machine (XP) is not working either. Is all of this linked? When I had a virtual network between XP and a virtual machine with Xandros on my brothers computer it worked fine.....

once again... WTF?

drcspy
10-06-2004, 07:13 AM
have you tried running the network WITHOUT zonealarm running ?

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Im with drcspy, try disabling Zone Alarm for the time being.

I'd also Un-install VMWare or the Microsoft alternative, whatever you're using, keep your VM Machine files, but just un-install your VM Software and reboot to clear out all the virtual networking crap that it puts on there.

Can you ping 127.0.0.7? What about your own NIC's IP Address?

willie_M
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Yes I did try running with ZA closed... of course...

I can ping myself (hostname) and 127.0.0.1

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes, but can you ping your NIC's IP Address. Pinging localhost or ping Stellar (My PC's name) only pings 127.0.0.1 (Or it does here....).

Try:
ping 192.168.0.XYZ

Chill.

willie_M
10-06-2004, 07:15 PM
OK, i tried pinging evvery number i could find...

I pinged my host, 127.0.0.1, my IP, which was 169.254.128.148 and before that I had it set to 192.168.0.2.

Now I have changed the workgroup to p2p, and I could ping myself from my brothers computer and vice versa...

But its still not showing up in the network places....

Anyway, I'm happy with that because I have set up a hub and he can now dl stuff from my computer.

It should fix itself. I would say networks are the most unpredictable creatures in the world...

Gorela
10-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Some LAN parties require you to set up your PC as a DHCP client. Is your home network running fixed IP's or DHCP? Possibly worth checking. :)

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Gorela>
I'd say its a DHCP network, and its probably having trouble deciding who's the Browse Master, he said his IP was:

Which basically means in WinXP that its a DHCP LAN Adapter that couldnt sort itself out a server

Why not try specifying an IP of 192.168.0.XYZ for one of the PC's, and even if you have to create a dummy Dial-Up connection and "Share" it, that'll setup the other PC as 192.168.0.1, and should sort all your networking worries ;-)

Cheers

Chill.

willie_M
11-06-2004, 09:57 AM
yeah thats how I had it set up at the LAN, I had everyone set their own IP so Windows wouldn't get confused. However I did set my computer to 192.168.0.2 and the other computer 192.168.0.4 so uhhh, yeah. The only thing that solved it was changing the workgroup from WORKGROUP to P2P.

Hmmm, but it looks like I've got worse problems (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48139)