PDA

View Full Version : The PC Company

Rob99
09-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I have the job of fixing a PC Company computer, there is nothing wrong with any of the hardware but I will need to do a reinstall of Windows XP Home.
My Question is: the "Product recovery CD-ROM" that is supplied with this computer is the only thing with an operating system on it (as far as I can tell), is this a proper version of MS Windows or just a recovery CD.
I do not want do format the Hard Drive if I can not use this CD to reinstall Windows.

Rob ;\

metla
09-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Put it in and follow your nose,it should spell out quite clearly what it wants to do while running,and should give you the option of a complete format or just reloading windows overtop of itself.

Rob99
09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Cheers, it appears like a windows CD when inserted, it just dosnt look like on with The PC Company printed on it.

Thanks Rob

Baldy
09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
If its anything like a Packard Bell computer, the OS should be on a hidden partion
Put the CD and follow the instructions. It should reformatt and reinstall all original software etc "as it was when computer was new"

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-06-2004, 10:26 PM
> It should
> reformatt and reinstall all original software etc "as
> it was when computer was new"

Should being the operative word... PC Co recovery CD's will definitely re-do the software etc, however they do have a tendency to be missing a lot of necessar drivers, particularly for their 56k modems - can be very tough to find the right drivers for those again.

kiki
09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Just as a precaution, back up everything you will need onto another drive completely. Wouldn't want that "recovery" cd to format the drive completely would you?

metla
09-06-2004, 10:43 PM
as a futher precaution you can use the program Driver Genius (shareware,time limited i believe) which will scan the system and back up all the drivers.

Its a nice bit of gear.

Rob99
10-06-2004, 03:41 AM
Just finished a complete format and reinstall with the disc The PC Company supplies with MS Windows Home, It would appear to be a propper full copy.
Driver Genius is a fantastic little app to add to your fixit disk. Now when I take the computer back to the owner they should not have to install their printer and scanner (cool) makes me look like a genius.

Rob :)