PDA

View Full Version : S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

supergran
09-06-2004, 10:56 PM
That is the card I am running in my new Compaq desktop system, running XP, so how do I find out if it is 3D and how much ram etc. I have done a search on google, but can only find drivers, and of course, I can't find anything about it in XP, as I just don't know where to look anymore.. TIA

metla
09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
it will have basic 3d capabilities,it certainly won't be a game capable card.

Whats the model number of your compaq?

It will be easy to find all the details about your system.

M@TT
09-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi
firstly, is it an agp/pci card or are the graphics integrated into your motherboard? I have the same graphics in my PC but they are integrated into the motherboard.

If this is the case then the RAM will be allocated to the graphics chip by the BIOS and is probably able to be set manualy. If its the same as mine then its default will be 8mb with a max of 32mb.

As for 3D, i'd say yes. But there are different understandings of 3D due to refresh rates, resolution anf whole host of other stuff. The best way to check out the capabilities of you graphics is to run a benchmarking program and compare with similar computers.

hope that helps
M@TT

Murray P
10-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Is this you model Supergran ? Compaq Presario 3300 (http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/vn_en/14_31_68_283summary.html)

It will be integrated graphics rather than a seperate card. I have no idea whether it uses dedicated onboard ram or shares it with your system ram, yet. M@tt's right in that it the amount of ram your card uses will be set in your BIOS sometimes refered to your computer setup by manufacturers (marketing persons). Check your manual to find out how you access it. At the very first stage of boot (just after the POST beep) you will need to press a key or key combination. Mine is the delete key, which is common but, HP's Comapaq's Dell's, etc, often have their own particular way of accessing the BIOS. This could even be through your setup/rescue disk supplied with the computer.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
10-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Just to add, it ain't a 2D card in that sense so you do have a 3D card in there. Neither is it a gamers card though, but if you wished you could probably get by in Americas Army, once you set the ram to a higher amount dedicated to the graphics, and most of the strategy games (I can play quiet a few with nForce integrated graphics, set at 32MB of ram). The advantages of of not having the most powefull graphics in the world Supergran is that you have a very good excuse to buy year old games cheap from tradme.co.nz rather than pay full rate for the latest and greatest that will struggle to even flicker to life ;)

Cheers Murray P

supergran
12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply, but I couldn't access F1 last night.
Yes it is intergrated, yes, I did finally find somewhere in this puter that it is 32 mgb ram, but nothing about 3D. LOL No, I am not a gamer, it was just a game that I was going to play that said it needed 3d 32 mgb ram, minimum, then I couldn't find the info in the XP that I am now running.
Boy was 98 easier to find things but thanks and the model compaq I am running is 55200N even though that is irrelevant now.

About the newest game I own is Carmegeddon, and I havent' even tried that in this puter.