PDA

View Full Version : SP1 install & prev. thread...

J ZEP
09-06-2004, 09:10 PM
HI all, was wondering if somebody can help point me to a thread i read awhile back, can't seem to find it with a search, as it covers my prob...
I have got a friends puter, trying to clean it out and also put sp1 on, as it has "no" updates at all on!

I seem to get part way through the SP1 install and get errors: "unable to backup or process command, not enough quota available" then have the options: Abort - Retry - Ignore. If i hit retry it will get me to the next one, then basically hit retry for every error gets me further through etc... but in the end can't install. I read a previous thread awhile back which suffered these symptoms and i think a solution, but can't find it at all unfortunately.

I have tried: Using different cds with the sp1 files on and doesn't make any difference. Also tried copying them onto the hdd first then trying install. Run sfc before trying install.

The system is definately on the low end of ram, with only 128mb and is AMD Duron 1.0ghz, 20 gb hdd.

Any ideas would be most appreciated or a link to the thread even better :-).

Cheers :-)

kiki
09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Sounds like its run out of hard drive space...

stu120404
09-06-2004, 10:54 PM
> The system is definately on the low end of ram, with
> only 128mb and is AMD Duron 1.0ghz, 20 gb hdd.

How much free hdd space does he have? & Is he going to add more ram? As win xp will run slow with 128MB of ram!

stu120404
09-06-2004, 10:56 PM
PS: make sure you run windows update after you install SP 1 :), as there has been a few update since it has been released ;)

Have you got the "windows update cd"(do a search of press f1 for more information) by any chance?

Rob99
09-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Just wait with the update for a few weeks and get MS to send you a disk with SP2.

J ZEP
09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
O.k further to this... this computer is an HP Pavilion 8905, I was aware "some" of these (H.Ps) had a recovery partition on, but the owner led me to believe this didn't and that she had possibly lost her recovery cd. I have now found the (Hidden) patition. Could this be the cause of my problems when installing sp1? The recovery patition only has 0.98gb free whereas C: has about 8 gig free? Will it be trying to back up the files to the hidden recovery partiton? Presumably? And running out of space? C: is NTFS and Z: is fat32 by the way.

Any help would be appreciated please, as my understanding of how this H.P setup works is very limited as you can see... Do i need to make that hidden patition bigger to allow room for the system backup files before installing xpsp1? If that is where they will be stored?

johnboy
09-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Here some info on sp1 (http://www.tipsdr.com/windows-xp-sp1.html)

Disk Quota Default Setting Prevents Logon Request
Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q288/7/50.asp&NoWebContent=1)

J ZEP
09-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback and links guys, however i was on the right track (hp patition), hopefully ;-). I have just found a compatiblity patch i need to install on this hp sytem to run xpsp1 :-). Hopefully that will solve the install prob, as according to johnboys links i still have enough free space for the install on the patition - if thats where it updates too?
Cheers :-)