PDA

View Full Version : Couple of problems

mejobloggs
09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
First, my Dad has had a few people saying his email have viruses on them. We have 2 up-to-date scanners, NOD32, and the free AVG one. Also, Spybot, and Adaware, and no viruses are detected. So, what is going on? nb: only one resident virus protection, so 2 of them are not fighting each other.

Also, none of the links in help documents work anymore. When you are browsing help, and it has something like, go to control panel, and an html link to control panel, nothing happens when clicked. Some of Dads work programs rely on these links in its interface, and they dont work.

Help appreciated.

Jen C
09-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Are these emails that your Dad has actually sent to a person, or are you getting messages in general saying that your Dad's email addy is associated with a message with a virus? Makes a difference which is occuring.

Lots of viruses spoof the senders email addy so that it appears they have sent that email when in fact they never did. They would of just acquired the email addy from a contact list somewhere on a infected machine. Did your Dad send these people emails?

But, if your Dad sent a email to a specific person, and upon arrival it got tagged as containing a virus, that is a worry.

mejobloggs
09-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Specific people. He emails them for business, and they email back saying he has virus attached. A few people have said that too.

Jen C
09-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Did they specify which virus? Do a online antivirus scanner test - Symantec has one. These people are not mistaking OE6's trick of banishing all attachments as "possible" security risks/viruses as meaning it did have a virus?

Capt.Hook
09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
I'd be very surprised if NOD32 doesn't detect any virus' in your mail, incoming or outgoing.I can see a definite conflict if you are using NOD and AGV at the same time.It's an even greater mystery to me why you would want to use AGV ,when you have NOD32 installed.A bit like owning a Ferrari,then putting a deisel engine in it.

godfather
09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
If you do have a virus (and it sounds like thats a possibility) then remember many viruses disable antivirus software so you "think" its all OK.

Do an on-line check at Trend Housecall or similar.

mejobloggs
09-06-2004, 09:22 PM
We have AVG as well, because we took our computer to get fixed, and they must have installed that to check for viruses, even though we had NOD, but now we cannot uninstall AVG for some reason.

Will do an online check

Capt.Hook
09-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Shut down AVG and do a scan with NOD32 and see what you come up with.
Getting AVG out of your system is just as hard as getting Nortons out.