PDA

View Full Version : Speedtouch Router. If not what brand should I buy????

Annanz
09-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Intending to get ADSL by the end of the month, are the Speedtouch 510ADSL Router telecom sells, are they any good???
http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202933-202558,00.html

And would any know are the Speedtouch 510 Router Version 4 because Telecom sales representative was not able to answer any of my questions. Also are they able to do pinhole??

If the Speedtouch Router aren't any good what brand would you recommend??

metla
09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Those self-install packages from telecom are a rip-off,No need for prices like that.

And if your looking for any advanced features,no luck to be had,You run a wizard to install the modem and are otherwise complety locked out of the configuration/set up.

Someone else will be able to advise on good gear to get,but don't touch that telecom scam.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Very true, although those Alcatel modems can be brought for round about $250 incl GST, you really don't need those. ADSL routers (yes! routers) today are cheap, some down at the $70/80 mark. Either way, you will still get online; either way, you'll probably have the same experience online. However, personally I believe in buying somewhere in the middle.

Since having ADSL, I have used the D-Link DSL500. Many people here will also recommend that one. It is solid built, nice looking (always important) ;-) and connects everytime, etc. No problems with it what so ever.... about 2 minutes to set up. Easy, user-friendly and stable. When I brought it, it was retailing at close to $400. I was lucky to score a one-off deal for just over $300. Today, you can buy them for $160 incl GST upwards. As usual I recommend you to look here (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_908.html) for price comparisions.

All in all, I would recommend against buying the Telecom Self-Install package.

Murray P
09-06-2004, 07:45 PM
If you can at all help it, do not touch a USB or PCI card adsl modem. Get yourself an ethernet router which may mean you also need to get an ethernet card to put in your PC.

USB & PCI modems have more difficulties in marginal signal localities, are more likely to present connection issues with networking, etc, will put an overhead on your system, ie, use CPU resources that an ethernet router will not, a USB or PCI modem will not have the features that most (even basic) routers have.

Cheers Murray P

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-06-2004, 08:17 PM
> Intending to get ADSL by the end of the month, are
> the Speedtouch 510ADSL Router telecom sells

Murray P, she is talking about the ethernet router, Speedtouch 510. The package does come with an ethernet card also.

However, good point, for anyone wanting to buy ADSL modems, as Murray suggests, it is not very wise to use USB or PCI -i.e. internals, in especially, as it can often be very inconvienent to restart, etc.

Murray P
09-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Sorry my mistake, thanks for pointing that out ~~~~~sy~~~~~. I read down the list and stopped at USB modem without twigging that the model number was different. Remembering someone else who had been having troubles with the Telecom package I leaped in :8}

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
09-06-2004, 10:10 PM
This seems to be the same one router (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q1/st510.asp) but from a uk site. The review is ok, try and find a few more to get a better idea of its merits.

Cheers Murray P

Greg S
10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
> it is not very wise to
> use USB or PCI -i.e. internals, in especially, as it
> can often be very inconvienent to restart, etc.

I don't know where you guys are coming from advising against pci modems - I've used mine for two years, on both W98 and XP - it was a dream to set up and is the most hassle-free adsl connection I could imagine

Murray P
10-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Your lucky Greg.

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
> it was a dream to set up and is the
> most hassle-free adsl connection I could imagine

It may have been hassle free for you Greg, but others have reported significantly lower mileage.

Imagine the added firewall protection provided by an external adsl Nat router and you might see why we tend to recommend the external route. Get one with a built in switch and you are halfway to heaven.

They make additional computer access a dream with no need to worry about connection sharing etc. I use an external router with a separate switch, but so long as the router/switch is powered up, any or all computers on the switch have independent internet access.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg S
10-06-2004, 11:06 AM
>
> > it was a dream to set up and is the
> > most hassle-free adsl connection I could imagine
>
>
> It may have been hassle free for you Greg, but others
> have reported significantly lower mileage.
>
> Imagine the added firewall protection provided by an
> external adsl Nat router and you might see why we
> tend to recommend the external route. Get one with a
> built in switch and you are halfway to heaven.
>
> They make additional computer access a dream with no
> need to worry about connection sharing etc. I use an
> external router with a separate switch, but so long
> as the router/switch is powered up, any or all
> computers on the switch have independent internet
> access.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{)
>

You must be right - I've never attempted to network my machines. I'm interested in the comment about my pci unit using more resources - not sure how to measure that. But coincidentally I'm upgrading a customer's machine to XP this morning, and they've got a d-link 500 so I'm looking forward to seeing how easy that goes.

Annanz
10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Appreciate everyone’s help. Looks like I will buy the D-Link 504 from Dick Smith Cat No: XH7953 if link does not work.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/post.jsp?forum=1&thread=48101&message=279070&reply=true

Has anyone had any problems with this router all heard of any problem with this router??? If not I will place a backorder for it.

On the DSE web site it has this warning:
This is a Class A product. In a domestic environment, this product may cause radio interference in which case the user may be required to take adequate measures.

Does anyone else suffer from radio interference from there router, it does not have to be D-Link brand??? The router will probably be placed just below my monitor stand and about 2 1/2 from my 14 inch TV just worried about the interference.

Annanz
10-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Wrong link, above

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40c7c28207dfd5d0273fc0a87f990780/Product/View/XH7953

godfather
10-06-2004, 03:53 PM
DSE links need to be reformatted before they will work.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH7953

Greg S
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
>coincidentally I'm upgrading a
> customer's machine to XP this morning, and they've
> got a d-link 500 so I'm looking forward to seeing how
> easy that goes.

Well this morning was almost a disaster.

The reinstall worked lovely - XP Pro running on the machine with 120Mb ram on an Athlon 733 - it's not bad. But getting the Internet to go is still a no-no :(

I spoke to the customer's ISP helpdesk, lovely people, but could not assist with a short walk-through (the person said they didn't support the router!?). I spoke to my ISP (Orcon) and they said yes, they'd love to help - I am going to recommend the customer to them tomorrow.

Having said that - the Internet issue MAY be the fact that I tried to connect with my cutomer's username/login from my place - I'm on a different plan.

i-gordon
10-06-2004, 04:24 PM
I have a friend who has a business installing computer systems. I asked him which ADSL Router to buy. His recommendation was DSE XH7916. So far I have had no problems. It worked straight out of the box. Later on after I had read the manual I was able to setup ports for EMule file sharing with no hassles at all. My friend say he uses these routers in his installations and has no problems.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-06-2004, 04:40 PM
If you have some space to spare, I would really recommend buying the 500 instead of the 504. The 500 does not have an inbuilt hub, however, comes cheaper. For the amount saved, you can buy another hub. Why I recommend separate hub/router? Because I have heard stories of random disconnection (too far from exchange, etc.) and once it 'crashed' the network too crashed. You couldn't even access the files on the other computers, without resetting the router by turning it on and off at the mains. The D-Links do not have a switch on the router, by the way. I would personally recommend you to look here for prices http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html It may save you alot of money, depending on where in the country you are. Just search for DSL500/DSL504