PDA

View Full Version : Audio out on a A7V600

willie_M
09-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey guys.

My ASUS A7V600 (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600/overview.htm) has an 2 audio outs on the back.

The normal speaker out 3.5mm stereo plug but its also got a S/PDIF out up by PS/2 plugs. Its basically just a single RCA plug.

However, the other night I tried to watch a movie on my TV and it wouldnt work. I plugged the AV cable into the computer and the other end to the stereo and I also tried the VCR.... but to no avail.

Do I need a preamp or anything?

My driver is SoundMAX Sensura. I have the S/PDIF set up and everything as far as I know everything should be fine.

Just one thing... in the volume control window, the S/PDIF slider is stuck. I cannot move it.

Any ideas....thanks.

CYaBro
09-06-2004, 04:46 PM
AFAIK S/PDIF is a digital signal so you can only plug it into an AMP that has a S/PDIF input on it. You can't plug it into the normal RCA left/right (red/white) sockets on VCR etc.
You most likely will need a 5.1 (or more) amp to get this input.

godfather
09-06-2004, 05:39 PM
CYaBro is correct.

SPDIF is the Sony/Philips Digital Interface, and not compatable with the analogue AV style of interface even though they use the same connector (RCA)

Growly
09-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Funny, my one of those boards just broke...

:'( :'(

Anyway... yes, you can't use that with equipment that doesn't specifically meet the standard.

willie_M
09-06-2004, 08:00 PM
?:|

Well f**k! what am I going to do with that? Can I convert it in any way. I saw an S/PDIF to TOSLINK convertor. Can I convert it to RCA?