PDA

View Full Version : printing via bluetooth

rugila
09-06-2004, 12:14 AM
I need a new printer.

Want one that I can print to directly from laptop or desktop without cable connection. Only need relatively short range (< 10 metres or so).

Seems Epson R310 can have an optional bluetooth adapter (additional cost is ??) but I'm not sure if the other printers on my shortlist (Canon i560, Epson C83) can manage it as well. (Epson CX5300 multifunction also being considered).

Can one fit a bluetooth adapter to most modern printers?
Alternatively, since wireless mouses, keyboards, etc are so common, it should be easy to have a printer set up to do the same thing. Or should it?
Anyone with experience/informed advice on this sort of thing would be much appreciated.

robo
09-06-2004, 06:57 AM
I don't know about bluetooth printing, but I know there are adaptors that will fit in any parallel port to make a printer infra-red, so the same could work for bluetooth.
Infrared is fine for printing from laptop, if your printer has an ir-port. Was common on lasers for a while but less so now.
Acer have a USB Bluetooth adaptor but I think it is to go into a PC, not a printer.
Retail on Epson adaptor about $225.
BELKIN: Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server is $250 which would go with any printer.
robo.

yingxuan
09-06-2004, 12:48 PM
A person at trademe asked me a similiar question to you.he wanted to his headset with his laptop and not a cellphone
I emailed sony about this and they say that the headset must support the "bluetooth profile" since laptop doesn't have this profile the headset won't work.

Sony nz says they have never seen an adaptor that can use the bluetooth headset with a laptop.

Have you tried asking at the retail shop?

yingxuan
09-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I would be a causious on buying the adaptor for your laptop.I might actually ask my dad if there's such an adaptor that can work with printers

yingxuan
09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
I think the printer has to support bluetooth in order for the adaptor to work!

U c for the bluetooth headset.It surely works alrite but the laptop doesn't have this kind of function to work it

THe buyer wanted to use the bluetooth hbh 35 as a phone for his/her laptop

Graham L
09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
HP450 has an optional Bluetooth adaptor. There seem to be at least two adaptors to connect to printers (by USB or Centronics connector).

There seems to be a "minimum"printer protocol suited to PDAs.

Try "bluetooth printer site:co.nz" and "bluetooth printer" to Google.