PDA

View Full Version : IE Home page troubles

fatnakedman
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi all

I have tried and searched all topics and cant seem to fix my problem.

When I open IE up, I get home page of "about:blank" but it is an ad site. I have tried changing the registry, but it keeps resetting to the original settings before hand. Under IE/Main, i have a registry key or wateva by the title of, HomeOldSP. I cannot delete this.

I have changed the settings and deleted all I think that needs to be in the registry but it always just reverts back to the same old.

THis is getting really frustrating.

Thanx for your help

Pheonix
08-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Give this a whirl.. CWShredder (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe)

Scan , then do a FIX, even if nothing was found in the scan.

fatnakedman
08-06-2004, 11:47 PM
geez....was bout to go to bed, got an email, did as u sed, and it works...for now. WIll have to see on the next reboot. But thanks heaps

cheers

Allblack
09-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Do a Goofle search and download CWShredder.

Better than adaware etc, and that will fix your problem.

Cheers
Tim

Jim B
09-06-2004, 09:06 AM
It is not true to say that CWShredder is better than Ad-Aware or Spybot

CWShredder is designed specifically to remove just the CoolWebSearch browser hijack and its variants and will not remove other types of spyware.

It is still important to use Ad-Aware and Spybot to remove the many other types and even using all three there may be some that are difficult to remove and require more involved procedures.

Pheonix
09-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Jim B is quite correct, although he has expanded it out a little past the Coolwebb variants. Even so, he has even stated on his site that about:blank is outside the scope of CWShredder. It gets some of them, but new variants are not going to be catered for in future.

Even Spybot and Adaware have their own strengths and weaknesses. But both used together prove very formidable for Spyware. Even better, they are free.