PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! XP upgrade killed my internet connection

nzotago
08-06-2004, 06:16 PM
After recently purchasing a wireless keyboard and mouse, I discovered to my chargrin that good old win98 on which I had relied for so long didn't cut the mustard with my new toy.

So I finally bit the bullet and went out and spent even more money getting winXP Pro. The install was reasonably painless, a few of my win98 programs didn't work so well and needed reinstalled drivers, including the driver for my DSE PCI internal adsl modem.

Well it said it reinstalled fine (bar a warning about not being XP certified but DSE says it works fine). The icon showing it connected shows up and says everything should be connected but...

As soon as I try to launch IE, no luck nothing loads. "Bugger" I thought oh well will just have to use my dial up to get on and get the wonderful F1 community to assist, but same deal modem says its connected but no action?

Sorry if thats a bit long winded explanation, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan

beama
08-06-2004, 08:12 PM
bump

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Check your settings in there.

Maybe also try your ISP helpdesk, they'll be able to tell if you're connecting etc.

wotz
08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a similar problem. I've had XP for a couple of years, with a dse internal modem. Finally decided to get a new HDD and did a fresh install on it. I can make the modem connect to the adsl signal when I install the drivers but restarting the pc leaves it unable to connect again. I'm stuck with the new drive just being used for storage until I make it worl or get an external modem.

kiki
08-06-2004, 09:35 PM
You say you did an upgrade or a fresh install? Big difference.

Wotz your problem would be solved by simply getting a more reliable external router.

nzotago
08-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Yeah I did only upgrade I had hoped I could avoid the fresh install as would take me all day to reinstall everything but I'm getting the feeling I might just have to bite the bullet.

I have read something about firewalls messing with the connection I have uninstalled mine (Norton 2002 internet security) but no success?

Pheonix
08-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Click Start
Run
type in:
cmd
Now type:
ping 210.48.100.45

Post back with the results

(Look familiar Chill?) :)

nzotago
09-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi again,

tried pinging came back with...

transmission failed: error code 65

Does this have something to do with firewall software, I have tried uninstalling but still no luck (and ICS is turned off)

metla
09-06-2004, 10:00 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q316414