PDA

View Full Version : shutdown xp thru network

Jimmy D
08-06-2004, 01:00 PM
there was a topic posted on here a while ago saying how u could shutdown an xp computer thru a network, this will b handy for me coz i can shutdown my other computer that is in the house without physically walking there and pressing the off button. if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated

thanks, Jim

Jester
08-06-2004, 01:08 PM
I use Real VNC to shutdwon the kids PC, run virus scans etc after they have gone to bed. Also to pop on and see what they are doing from time to time ;)

It's a 563kb download from
http://www.realvnc.com/

J
:D

kiki
08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Well if you have admin access to that pc and you are on 2000/xp yourself you can do:

Right click my computer -> manage
Right click on the computer icon in the left tree -> connect to another computer
Type in the network name
Ok it should say you are connected now so right click on the icon again and select properties
Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery click on settings.
And click on the little shutdown button for more options.

Sooo evil...

Growly
08-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Well,

In my attempt to liken my self to every cool CCIE equiped network admin in the world, I learned that you could use:

Start --> Run --> mstsc

(That's remote console. I find you have to have a) identical users on each computer / be part of the same domain b) turn it on in system settings (System in Control Panel, under the Remote tab)

and, ofcourse, the shutdown command in cmd

(Start --> Run --> cmd)

Infact, with the shutdown command, i managed to beat the blaster worm (and variants). When counting down, go to cmd, and type in shutdown -a. :D

Chilling_Silence
08-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Im with Growly, use the shutdown command.. works great every time :-) Local or remote shutdowns, for aborting or starting... Its just good :D

Growly
08-06-2004, 10:41 PM
OK so inever got it to work... and then my computer broke.... :s

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Install Blaster, it automates shutdowns ;-)

Jester
09-06-2004, 12:14 AM
> Install Blaster, it automates shutdowns ;-)

LOL :^O

Growly
09-06-2004, 05:30 PM
OMG, where do i get that?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-06-2004, 09:31 PM
> OMG, where do i get that?

Built in feature, just install Windows XP, and go on the intarwebnet. No extra installation required.

Growly
09-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Radical!

Jimmy D
22-06-2004, 10:53 AM
lol umm yeah no?
hahaha :D

so how do u use this shutdown command in the cmd, say 'shutdown -m computer01' ? would that be right?