PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true?

Nigel Thomson
08-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Came across this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/Business-productivity/Microsoft/auction-12289842.htm) on trademe
just seemed a little too good to be true

Nigel Thomson
08-06-2004, 11:35 AM
OK perhaps not,

it appears to be some sort of "microsoft action pack", a subscription thingie I think

metla
08-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Whatever it is i wouldn't touch it with a 500 foot stud encusted gun barrell

What makes me laugh is people selling freely available e-books,lists of wholesalers and content from websites(anyone want to buy the instructions on how to make a projecter from a cardboard box and a magnifing lens???)

CYaBro
08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
It will be the Microsoft Action pack and it costs $869 from Microsoft.
Don't why anyone would pay that guy to tell them how to get it though!

I don't think Microsoft will sell them to just anyone.
You have to be a Microsoft Partner to subscribe to it.

CYaBro
08-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Here's (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/partner/salesmarketing/actionpack/default.aspx) the link to it. NO CHARGE!

Greg S
08-06-2004, 12:28 PM
what a beautiful load of bs!

I'd almost be prepared to pay 50 cents to see it! :^O

dipstick01
08-06-2004, 12:29 PM
or it the free trial software that microsoft offers to everyone at no charge. They don't even charge for the courier.

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/evaluate/products/default.aspx

Greg S
08-06-2004, 12:31 PM
> Here's (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/partner/salesmarketin
> /actionpack/default.aspx) the link to it.
> NO CHARGE!

That's brilliant! That TradeMe seller is a cunning, scummy sod eh!

metla
08-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Doh....just went to post the link and call him a scammer and was informed my account is 3 dollars in debt and im locked out......

dipstick01
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
lol I just fired off a quick note to Trademe Admin. I see someone has bid already also which is why I sent in the complaint as I HATE to see buggers ripping off people. I also note that the seller is also from Hastings and has a few other seemingly genuine auctions running too.

Jester
08-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Anyone here a member of http://www.scambusters.co.nz/ ?

J

robsonde
08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
> What makes me laugh is people selling freely
> available e-books,lists of wholesalers and content

I dont laugh at the seller, the seller is a smart person.

I laugh at the silly people who pay for such free stuff.

Lohsing
08-06-2004, 01:10 PM
If you think THAT'S smart... have a look at what this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20387&item=8101010615) bright spark was selling...

Lo.

Dolby Digital
08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
>>I dont laugh at the seller, the seller is a smart person.
Is a smart person someone who makes money off people who don't know that the product(s) may be free. I'm not so sure.

BTW. Wanna buy a report which tells you how to make money on the internet... only 5 bucks to you!

Budda
08-06-2004, 01:58 PM
hmm thats not a bad price?? 115pounds? thats about 300 NZD its not crystal but ive got one the same

Graham L
08-06-2004, 02:05 PM
The definition of "value" is "what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller".

In auctions it is assumed that the buyers are "informed": they know what they are bidding on. As a regular at "real" auctions I know to watch out for current retail prices of anything I consider buying.

I suppose this seller can argue that what is being sold is "information". According to the PM, we are now an "information economy", so we don't need to produce anything; the world is queuing up to buy our information, even if they don't want our lamb, fruit, cheese, steel, ...

:D

metla
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
You should see my old boy at auctions,Funnist thing i ever saw was him bid like crazy on a motorbike only to find out later he had purchased a box of bicycle bits for 50 times there worth.

Or the 14 high chassis ex-army trailer that sat out the back for 15 years before we cut them up for scrap.

Meh heh heh.

willie_M
08-06-2004, 02:16 PM
OMG that poor bastard who bought an XBOX box! for $300!

Man I feel sorry for him. ANd it wasnt really a scam was it? So he's got a box worth $300....

dipstick01
08-06-2004, 07:10 PM
as an update to the original auction saga I emailed trademe admin in regard to the listing and I have just received this email.

Thanks for reporting the auction for: THE MICROSOFT SECRET REVEALED!!

The Trade Me Customer Support Team have reviewed the listing and has deemed that it is in breach of our terms and conditions. As a result the auction has been removed from the site.

Thank you for bringing this auction to our attention and making Trade Me a better place to buy and sell.

Happy trading,

The Trade Me Customer Support Team

Mike
08-06-2004, 07:25 PM
> You have to be a Microsoft Partner to subscribe to
> it.

True, and I'm sure if Microsoft found out who was selling it they'd lose their Partner priviledges too.

To clarify though, the action pack is full-version software. A lot of it in fact. Not trial or time-limited software. It runs on a subscription (so after a year you have to purchase a new license, much like a lot of other corporate software), but its still the real-deal.

Mike.

Growly
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I am fed up with getting to these posts too late. They withdrew.

Party poopers....

dipstick01
08-06-2004, 08:07 PM
lol they didn't withdraw they was kicked, personally I think that was a damn rude scam. All he was selling was the means to purchase the product so not only did the winner of the auction have to pay for the info but then have to pay the normal price for the goods too. And this is from someone in the industry.

Lohsing
08-06-2004, 08:35 PM
> hmm thats not a bad price?? 115pounds? thats about
> 300 NZD its not crystal but ive got one the same

Read the auction carefully again... it's a Crystal X-Box [b]"BOX"[/url]...

Lo.

kiki
09-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Its limited edition :O Must have...