PDA

View Full Version : connecting usb with win 98

mikeymike76
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
hi guys, just wondering about a problem with trying to connect USB devices with win 98. My father has tried to connect his olympus mju to their old win 98 (not SE) computer after loading the driver on. I wasn't their when he did this so I am not sure what process he followed.

I thought the easiest way to find out if it is a hardware or software problem would be to try and connect a USB mouse. So I loaded driver for the mouse, then plugged in the mouse and a little box said that it was installing the driver. But after it had finished installing driver nothing happend, I couldn't use the usb mouse at all. I thought this might be a conflict with the ps2 mouse, so i shut down and unplugged that, and booted with the usb mouse in. Win 98 just came up with a little box just before logging in saying "I can't find a mouse on your system", and so still not usb mouse.

I put it down to two things:
- Firstly it could be that even though the olympus box says it is compatible with win 98, it might mean win 98 SE (which has more usb driver support)
- The other thought I had is it could be the BIOS, I might had to flash the BIOS to make the USB work properly.

Does any one else have any ideas? the thought of flashing the BIOS is slightly scrary (I have done it before, but its still scary!)

zqwerty
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Dick Smith has a cheap USB PCI card c/w driver CD which I know will make Win98SE work with USB devices and presumably Win 98 as well.

Terry Porritt
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
You really need Win98SE with the USB update patch for usb devices to work properly. Win98 (Ist edition) had similar problems to Win95B and C.

Also the BIOS is probably a bit old and may not be fully USB 'savvy'.

Then there is the question of whether the USB controllers and root hub have been installed properly, have a look in Device Manager.

There is a MS Knowledge Base article on USB trouble shooting.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263218