PDA

View Full Version : Getting Contact List out of backed up .pst

csinclair83
08-06-2004, 01:14 AM
I reinstalled my Outlook just before as I wanted a attempt with Incredimail and having 2 Email Clients on 1 comp isnt good...so backed up my Outlook pst and took Outlook off and tried Incredimail and its ok...but yeah

Now I got rid of Incredimail and reinstalled Outlook and I dont want to use my backed up .pst but i only want the Contact Book from it...
is there any way to import the contact book out of the .pst file without importing all emails and folders?

Am using Outlook 2003 and winxp home

Chris

Murray P
08-06-2004, 09:17 AM
I think you'll need a third party app to do that Chris. May as well drag them all in and do a clean out.

Cheers Murray P

drcspy
08-06-2004, 09:52 AM
export the new stuff............then clear the folders then import the old stuff and use the following program........or the backup program, which is free

http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

once you have the backups then you can reimport the new stuff......

Billy T
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I have just gone through a similar process but not involving contacts. If you rename your clan outlook.pst then restore your backup, I think you will find that you can export your contacts in a format suitable for re-importing into the clean pst file.

I remember reading this section while searching for a way to import my personal outlook folders. I never found anything in the help files providing a way to import the original structure , but by trial and errorI found a drag & drop alternative that worked more or less OK. (Everything works from the user point of view but the added folders don't show in the folder tree, but since I only use that for system maintenance it didn't matter to me.)

BTW, I think drcspy's advice applies only to Outlook Express.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
08-06-2004, 10:07 AM
He is using Outlook, DBXtract is for use with OE

Why not just copy the saved .pst file back into Outlook or File Import and you can then remove any of it you don't want.

Jim B
08-06-2004, 10:13 AM
All you do is copy the backup PST file(s) into the folder that you located when you initially backed up your work.
* Keep in mind that if you overwrite your existing PST file with your backup PST file, any new data since the time of the backup will be deleted. If you have recent data that is not on the backup copy of your PST file and you don't want to loose the recent data, then you can use the "Import" command to add data instead of overwriting data.
1. Click on File > Import and Export...
2. Highlight "Import from another program or file" and click "Next>".

3. Highlight "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and click "Next>".

4. Browse to the PST file that you desire to import, and click "Next>".

5. If needed, repeat the process for other PST files such as your archive.pst.