PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core: can't play CDs

Growly
07-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi there,

I have fedora core 1, fresh install. Soundcard has been detected just dandy, the test sound was fine, but it wont play cds.

In CD Player, nothing happens when I click play, and in xmms, it goes throught the song, but the specturm analyser doesnt show anything and I hear nothing.

Jen C
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Open up a console window and su - to root. Enter in aumix and tweake the volumes as root first. If you don't have aumix installed, use whatever sound mixer you have in a GUI such as kmix or the gnome equivalent if that is what you are using, but do this as root first. You may then need to repeat this as a "user". See if this helps.

Growly
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM
OK, im in root anyway... ( i dont use the user account unless told to )

Does the volume control in gnome do the same thing?

Growly
07-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Yes, yes it does...

levels are normal, unmuted, and locked

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I had the same problem, and it wouldnt work for me even though it did in Doze..

Plugged the Analogue Audio cable in the back of the CD-RW Drive in to my Soundcard and it was fine. YMMV, but give it a shot.

Chill.

Jen C
08-06-2004, 12:01 AM
> OK, im in root anyway... ( i dont use the user account unless told to )

<lecture>
You are learning how to use Linux, unless you like to reinstall often, using the root account as your everyday account is a very good way to hose your system. Unlike Windows, Linux will quite happily let you remove key libs/files/directories without any warnings. The power of the CLI is great in root, a simple mistype can do bad things :D. Use your user account for everyday use, and just su to root when you need to perform root tasks.
</lecture>

You won't find many Linux users using root as routine, good to start with proper practices ... :)

Graham L
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM
"#rm -rf / tmp" :D :_| is the classic example of an accidental <space> making for a bad day.

Growly
08-06-2004, 07:31 PM
thanks for the lecture, and i appreciate your warnings, but:

i still cant play cds, i cant bothered running cables (this is a temp computer), and i will continue to use it in root. I'm fine with reinstalling.

Also, I am absolutely sick of having to change permissions and switching users to install and run servers.

tmrafi
09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi,
Windows supports what is known as DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) for playing audio cd. Fedora cannot do this and relies on analog audio cable connecting the sound card to the cd drive. All it does is to spin the disc and jump tracks, the audio is fed directly to the sound card by the drive and the sound card mixer does the rest. XMMS cannot show the spectrum analyser as there is no data passing through the cpu to analyse.

Bottomline, u need analog audio cable between your cd drive and sound card under Linux.

Growly
09-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Oh, i thought someone would have been smart enought to do that for Linux

obviously not.