PDA

View Full Version : one for the propellor heads

killrelig
07-06-2004, 07:29 PM
friend of mine dropped this in my lap...........
old win 98 machine with a 2gb drive
drive shows up on post but thats as far as it goes.
put said drive in another box as a slave, shows on post but not seen under dos or win98 though partition magic sees it as an unallocated volume.
Friend is hoping to recover data off drive and said that a computer tech she knows thinks the drive has compressed itself???
its almost like the drive is unformatted
any ideas appreciated

drcspy
07-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I'd suggest trying to use Ghost to image the drive before you fiddle around wiht it...........

antmannz
07-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I used to use a freely downloaded product called Drive Rescue to rescue data off drives. Don't know if it's still around, but if you can find it, give it a shot

Exwesty
08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Try Spinrite from Gibson Research Corporation
www.grc.com

R2x1
08-06-2004, 01:50 AM
While I have never used Ghost, I have used SpinRite for many years, and Drive Rescue is another favourite.

You can get drive rescue here, (http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/driverescue19d.zip) and Gibson Research's SpinRite here. (http://grc.com/spinrite.htm)
Hope this helps save your friend's data
R2

Graham L
08-06-2004, 03:29 PM
The drive can't have "compressed itself". ;-) The OS might have been told to compress the contents. But even so, you should be able to see some "DOS-readable" files because a compressed disk isn't bootable, so what is built is a disk with a small uncompressed partition with the boot stuff, including a driver to do the compress/uncompress and another partition which holds the compressed contents. DRDos used to just have a (big) file with the compressed contents.

killrelig
10-06-2004, 12:07 PM
thanks for the link to drive rescue Rx21
It sees the physical drive but cant recover or see anything
i spose theres the possibility that the drive is phsically or electrically bad
Ill keep trying
cheers Killrelig

killrelig
10-06-2004, 12:09 PM
heres hoping the drive isnt as bad as my spelling

Terry Porritt
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
I suppose you have tried using FDISK from a boot floppy, option 4, just to see what partitions and type FDISK says are there?

killrelig
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
yep terry sure have
nothing showed up at all
but thanks anyway

R2x1
10-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Have you tried Knoppix at all ? It will let you look at a few odd-ball
things that Win doesn't believe in. Do you have a faster- than-dial-up
connection? Emergency Boot CD is a handy thing to have around if
you can download it and burn it to CD in a reasonable time.
Otherwise, I could send you a copy.
R2