PDA

View Full Version : DVD PAL to NTSC conversion

Duck
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Does anyone have experience with converting a PAL DVD to NTSC? I made a DVD of old family videos and like to share it with relatives in North America. Which software could do the trick, and would I be able to keep the DVD menu functioning?

Thanks!

godfather
07-06-2004, 06:43 PM
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928

Duck
07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks Godfather...I had seen this 'patch' before but was looking for a method that works for sure on every type of DVD player...

metla
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
dvdshrink will do it,Its main purpose is to shink a movie down to fit on a blank dvd but it can change the format while doing so.

Duck
07-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Metla,

I tried DVDshrink (3.1) but get an error message right at the start when opening disc "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD navigation structure" The DVD was made with Pinnacle Studio 8...

Any suggestions??
Thanks!

paulw
08-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Your best bet is to convert the PAL video files to NTSC before your make them into DVD files. Use something like TMPGE..

parry
08-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Yes I think TMPGEnc should do it. See [url=http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/166237.php] this guide (which is actually regarding SVCD but the theories mostly the same).

There is no guarantee that a recorded DVD will play in every DVD Player but the type of media used is important as well so use a good quality DVD-R disc it's more likely to work than a +-RW or +R disc.

metla
08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
> Hi Metla,
>
> I tried DVDshrink (3.1) but get an error message
> right at the start when opening disc "DVD Shrink
> encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD
> navigation structure" The DVD was made with Pinnacle
> Studio 8...
>
> Any suggestions??
> Thanks!
>

Bad luck,i half expected that to be the case,Worth a crack though.

The problem lies in that while its very easy to re-encode an avi file its a different story to alter an authored dvd.

In some cases the program used to author the dvd will keep a copy of the project files so you can go back to the start of the authoring process and make any needed alterations.

That only applies if it was authored on your comp and the project files were retained,they can be many gb in size.

metla
08-06-2004, 01:10 PM
That tmpgenc guide doesn't apply,its an authored dvd not an avi file sitting on his harddrive.

What he needs to do is maybe use a media player with a record function,(Winfast TV may do it),play the dvd and capture it to his harddrive as an avi in the required harddrive.

Having said that there is probaly an app available that will rip the required files and re-encode them,With a bit of luck the authoing program used to make the dvd may even have that capability.

metla
08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Duck,

Just went hunting,You could try DVDDecrypter to rip the files to your harddrive,but i wouldnt be surprised if it gave the same file structure error as dvdshrink.

Both are designed for working with commercial dvd's.

Duck
08-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Metla, you're right, I only have the authored DVD, deleted the original AVI's a little bit to early...I tried both DVDdecrypter and DVDshrink but no luck.

In the meantime I 've tried godfather's patch, changing all PAL settings to NTSC in the IFO files. The resulting DVD plays fine in my DVD player, but when I force my TV into NTSC mode I have a stable picture but no colour...
so not sure if it will work in Canada...

Anyway thanks all of you for your suggestions.

paulw
08-06-2004, 10:43 PM
"In the meantime I 've tried godfather's patch, changing all PAL settings to NTSC in the IFO files. The resulting DVD plays fine in my DVD player, but when I force my TV into NTSC mode I have a stable picture but no colour.."

I suspect in that case that the DVD is still in PAL format...